Author Topic: Worst MX Injurys  (Read 12372 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Worst MX Injurys
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 09:04:17 pm »
Here are the official stats on what is the most dangerous sport, based on my observations of Rugby, MX is much safer.

According to the Medibank Private Safe Sports Report 2006, the top 10 most injury-prone sports (based on patient presentations to Australian hospital emergency departments and general medical practices) are:
1. Australian Rules Football
2. Basketball
3. Netball
4. Running
5. Tennis
6. Cricket
7. Soccer
8. Aerobics
9. Rugby League
10. Rugby Union

Means nothing unless you know how many people participate and how often.

For the sake of the argument: if there's 100,000 people playing AFL every weekend, and there's only 10,000 people playing Union once per month, then AFL would actually be the safer sport.
(For the pedants: Unless AFL presented 40 times as many patients as Union [10 times as many participants, playing four times as many games = 40]).

The UK MSA did this for rallying a few years back - basically, they worked out the injury rate for rallies relative to the total number competitive kilometres travelled, and also against the number of competitors. Then they realised that it was a hell of a lot safer than the raw numbers lead them to believe.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:13:24 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2012, 04:43:19 pm »
not a good look for knee guards,but good for antibiotic company...
quote;Now that, is seriously gnarly! Glenn Kearney went down on the third day of competition at the ISDE, and still rode for three hours before getting his knee stitched up!

Best is in the West !!

Curly3

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2012, 05:51:52 pm »
I'd be horizontal if I was looking at a cut like that on my own knee, triple ouch.
So are you saying Alison that the knee guard was responsible for that? apart from the crash of course.