Author Topic: Funny story-Old Broadford Track  (Read 1056 times)

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Funny story-Old Broadford Track
« on: September 20, 2012, 09:14:28 PM »
Funny story about the "old Broadford track". It was 2000 at the Aust MXGP, I was working as mechanic for jye Harvey, getting his CR250 ready under the awning when a gent appeared with a video camera, and started asking the usual questions, hows the day going, hows the track etc. i remarked that i thought the track was not as good as the "old days", and he asked what it was like in the "old days". I told him the start straight used to go all the way to the top of the hill before coming back, but they changed it after a bad accident involving one of the top guns of the time, Darryl Willoughby, who was involved in a huge crash on the jump half way up the straight. He then asked me how good Willoughby was, and i said on his day he was as good as any of the top guys  back then, but he never seemed quite the same after the crash. The guy then said, sorry, i didnt even ask your name, and i introduced myself. It was then i realised i hadnt got his name either, and asked his name. He then popped his head out from the video camera for the first time, held his hand out and said," pleased to meet you, i'm Darryl Willoughby." We both laughed for ages, and had a good old yak about the "old days". I was talking to Andy Haydon a bit later, and he remarked he had seen Darryl- who he knew well-a bit after i had, and he was still laughing about it then!
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Funny story-Old Broadford Track
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:00:36 PM »
That is a fabulous story thankyou
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Funny story-Old Broadford Track
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »
It was at Classic Dirt 4 at Broadford and it had been a long hectic weekend, I saw and talked to so many people and I was exhausted by the end. It was around midday Sunday when a few people wandered by and one of them asked me about repairing exhausts. “No problem I said, what have you got?”
He said he had an SR500 and I said “oh yeah, one of those Yamaha road bikes”
No no he said, it’s a Motocrosser.
At which point, being tired I confused it with the SC500 and I said “uh huh, that would be a Yamaha then, like the early YZ’s”
No no, he said even more frustrated that I didn’t seem to know my bikes.
It was at this point that one of his friends leaned over and said “Geoff, that’s Gunter and he’s talking about his works bike”
Doh, I didn’t recognize him in his ‘civvies’.

Needless to say I he didn’t give me his pipe. ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/