Author Topic: Not strictly vmx but could possibly happen to any of our old bikes.  (Read 1218 times)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
Interesting thing happened to my boys modern YZF250 "09 which could happen to our old bikes. [Not 'look mum, no hands], but Look 'Dad No Gears', had stripped the spline out of the clutch center. I wasn't personally involved in it but saw the hub today & must be a short spline on the shaft not covering the whole area [length] as still has a few mm of spline visible each end of the hub center & ripped out in between hence 6 neutrals--well 7 neutrals, the old flat out in neutral trick!!. Just to show how things haven't changed much the same exact thing happened to me in ummm 1962 when my 1948 Matchy stripped the clutch center up in the hills bloody miles from home.  Maybe this [YZF] is a known problem. Bike had never been apart in that area but maybe clutch center nut wasn't done up tight or sure as hell wasn't by that stage. Is a wonder they don't cast a steel spline bit into the ally center or is this weight saving taken to the extreme. Cheers.