Author Topic: Trials front tyre  (Read 1945 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Trials front tyre
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:31:01 pm »
I'm currently giving my Maico trials bike a going over for CD9. The old Pirelli front tyre which has probably been on the bike since the seventies has gone rock hard and rotten so I guess it's time to upgrade. I've just purchased a Vee Rubber VRM308R 2.75-21 2PLY from Trooper Lu on eBay after a mate recommended them to me after he fitted one to his Sherco. I'm using a Michelin rear.
I know virtually nothing much about trials so have I done the right thing?
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Trials front tyre
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:48:52 pm »
Good to hear you are getting that Maico going again. If you had said you were going to ride the Aussie titles I would have recommended a Michelin front. In my mind the highest performance to lowest performance fronts are Michelin, Dunlop, IRC, Vee Rubber, Pirelli, MITAS. However, unless you are going to ride wet slimy rocks and roots, the performance of the front tyre is not critical. I use both IRC and Michelin fronts mainly because they are the ones I can source easily.
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:59:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply.....The old Maico (Helga) is an interesting bit of kit that's perfect for events like Classic Dirt. I'm still amazed at the amount of work its still unknown builder put into it. Even today I rediscovered that the footbrake pedal runs on ball bearings :)  It'll be cool to see it next to Yamaico's beautiful little CT3 trials bike.The Kevlar Kompound will once again be the place to see the left field bikes that make our sport so great.

If you're coming to CD9 you're more than welcome to take Helga for a loop or two!
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:46:04 pm »
Thanks Firko I would love to try out Helga and also to see Yamaico's creation in the flesh however I'm only a possible for CD9 at this stage.
If I do come I'll bring a trials bike too but I'm pretty sure it won't generate interest, fascination and discussion anything like those two will.
previous pseudonym feetupfun