Author Topic: Fake Paypal emails  (Read 1068 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Fake Paypal emails
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:36:07 pm »
  Had a (Fake) email from Paypal this morning with a receipt for $79.30 it looked real,  so I questioned this transaction with Paypal and they had me forward it to their legal people ([email protected]).   Apparently if you just answer the email they ask for your details so they can cancel the transaction, this then gives them your details and they can drain the account.
  The email below (IS) from Paypal and advises how to tell the difference.  I have deleted the offending email.
                                       Zane   

ps.  I have had another 4 repeats of this email in the last two days.

Sent: Monday, 30 July 2012 12:23 PM
To: zane currie
Subject: Message from PayPal Customer Support (KMM62071810V15003L0KM) :ppk1

Dear Zane Currie,

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

Phishing emails are fake emails that attempt to collect your personal and financial information. These fake emails often link to illegitimate (spoof) websites that encourage you to enter personal information (for example, credit card numbers, passport or driver's licence number, and account passwords).
You’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:
The email uses a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We always address you by your first name and last name or the business name on your PayPal account.
The email requests financial and other personal information. For example, an email from PayPal never asks for the numbers of your bank account, debit or credit card, or driver's licence. We also don’t request your email addresses, your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions.
The email includes an attachment or a software update to install on your computer.
The email asks you to make a payment outside of PayPal, such as by bank transfer or Western Union.
To protect yourself, please always log in to your PayPal account to confirm the information you received in an email. You can find all your transactions in your Account History and any cases, such as buyer complaints or limitations in the Resolution Centre.
If you think you’ve received a phishing email, forward it to [email protected] for our own investigation. Then delete the fake email from your inbox.
Click ‘Safety Advice’ at the top of any PayPal page to learn more about phishing and online safety.
As an added benefit, there is a free application that can be downloaded which helps identify if an email they have received is actually from PayPal.
Please go to this website:
www.iconix.com/paypal
or go to the PayPal AU website with the following instructions:
Go to www.paypal.com.au.
Click 'Safety Advice' at the top of any PayPal page.
Click 'Online Safety Essentials' in the center of the page.
Click 'Security Tools' in the left column.
Click 'Iconix Email Identification Overview.'
Thank you for choosing PayPal.

Sincerely,

Joanah

PayPal Australia Pty Limited.
Copyright © 1999-2012 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal Australia Pty Limited ABN 93 111 195 389 (PPA) holds an Australian Financial Services Licence, number 304962. Any general financial product advice provided in this email is provided by PPA and has not taken into account your objectives, financial situations or needs.
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Re: Fake Paypal emails
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:19:09 pm »
Yes, I also had a very authentic looking email from "PayPal" a few weeks ago saying that I'd recently made a payment to someone....had me going for a minute, but resisted the temptation to click and instead went through my normal Pay Pal Bookmark......sure enough no payment had been made. ::)