Author Topic: Preston Petty in blue?  (Read 3113 times)

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
Preston Petty in blue?
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:48:18 pm »
Does anyone make the Preston Petty TonyD and MXrear replica fenders in blue??

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Preston Petty in blue?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:06:19 pm »
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:56:12 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 12:10:15 am »
is that Keeper  :) a free one  Mick ?
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline XRH348

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 02:47:51 am »
I see
Vintage iron do  Tony D guards,

but i dont see them in Blue

http://www.vintageiron.com/fenders.cfm

one could ask if they would do a special?

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 05:31:28 am »
Preston Petty in blue?  Yes, Preston always wears blue.

Seriously, the only official and endorsed supplier of Preston Petty mudguards/fenders is Strictly Hodaka (the products actually have the original logo) and they have just started making blue I believe.  See them here www.strictlyhodaka.com

Ken

Paul Stannard

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 12:26:00 am »
Thanks Ken and I love your shirt  ;D
Currently we have the "Muder" and "Mini-Muder" fronts available and the "IT" rear fenders. These are available in red,gray,orange,yellow and white.
We have two samples of blue made and have sent them off to Hugh's Bultaco and some others to see if this is a perfect PMS color match. I am unsure if the Bultaco blue is the same as the "IT" blue? Can anyone offer help?

The Tony D fender tool had worn out and the new tool is just about finished.

Tooling is very very expensive so we are moving slowly but the next new tool to be made will be the MX rear fender tool.
Also our fenders are injection molded in a 100 ton press like Preston did.So we are able to cast the Preston Petty name and logo into each fender as they were originally done back in the day. There are others out there that are calling themselves "Preston Petty" fenders but these are vacuum formed and do not have the official name of logo that we are so very proud of as is Preston.

Several years ago at the ISDT reunion ride in Arkansas Preston was there as was I. I had about 100 or so of the reproduction Preston Petty fenders there to sell when Preston himself came over to inspect them ( John Penton also). Preston asked me in front of one hundered people "will these pass the Preston test?". I asked him what is the Preston test? He said please hand me a fender which I reached done and handed him a yellow Tony D front. He took the fender and bent it around like a pretzel and squeezed it back and forth. He then let it go and it went right back into shape without breaking. That was the Preston test and he proceeded to give me the thumbs up!

We have found a reasonable import broker to help us bring the fenders into the US which has allowed us to lower the retail prices.
Preston as Ken mentioned is on board as an adviser and also as a trusted friend. You cannot find a nicer person than Preston Petty but you will read all about him in issue #51 of VMX magazine in a couple months.
Thank you for the space
Paul
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:35:31 am by Paul Stannard »

IT400C

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 10:37:26 am »
From memory, the Bultaco Blue was slightly darker than the Yamaha IT Blue - but very close.

And since the Preston Petty Blue predated the Yamaha IT's, I'd assume it was the Bultaco Blue they were based on.  I'd certainly be happy with Bultaco Blue.

Not a great photo, but here's a period photo of an IT400C with a Blue PP Rear Guard (Fender).  The only colour photo I could find of Dad's bike back in 1976.  Photo taken at the Canungra Enduro, Queensland, 1976.

I know it's hard to get a definitive comparision from an old photo like this, but it definitely does look a bit darker..

Thanks,

Tony

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:39:01 am by IT400C »

IT400C

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 10:41:58 am »
btw, I've been using Strictly Hodaka's Preston Petty product for maybe 3 or 4 years now, and they really are excellent.

;D