Author Topic: universal fuel tap  (Read 1049 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
universal fuel tap
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:43:07 am »
i have a nos plastic b50 tank and it has no holes in it for the fuel taps also a cr152 universal plastic tank with a hole in it i think one of the rubber sealed ones.
any ideas of how to put fuel taps in these tanks
thanks
jim

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: universal fuel tap
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:51:16 am »
Two options that i have seen-1 is to weld/solder/braze a thread into the tank to suit your tap-that's the hard way but it looks more original.
OR No2 is to just weld/solder/braze a spiggot into the tank and then put an in-line tap into that-both do the job and it depends alot on the what/where/why and on what you are fitting the tank.
You will need to think about where you want the tap positioned as to which method you use. Oh and how original or 'works special' you want it. 

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 07:56:34 am »
both tanks are plastic as per the first thread
jim

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 08:50:55 am »
You have to remember he's a sidecar freak.....and knowing him he would try to weld a metal spigot to a plastic tank....I donno what he was doing on a 2 wheeler thread in the first place?....keep to your shopping trollies freak.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 04:29:36 pm »
What?? can't you guys weld friggin plastic??
Who uses plastic tanks anyway!! Noel Stitt (ACU steward from hell at Tivoli in the 70's) always reckoned them be danger-ous!!

Curly3

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 04:51:25 pm »
Not that I have any personal experience with plastic tanks but I'd be pretty sure they would have a thicker section on the base on either side that could be drilled & tapped to whatever thread you need.
I have a good selection of tap's, once you find the petcock you want to use bring it over and I'll ID the thread, that's the first step.