Author Topic: 1985 Action Park 3 Hour Dirt Track Race  (Read 7970 times)

Re: 1985 Action Park 3 Hour Dirt Track Race
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 09:44:42 am »
There you go. Goes to show im still shit with names. Dad had it pretty well right. He was sponsored by Gus Lui as per the sticker on the front guard. I do remember having fun doing it. It was the first time i did dirt track because one of the Owen brothers gave me a tip not to stand up coming into corners  ::)  :D
I did a few more at Tivoli as well. I remember racing against Peter Goddard and fellow mx competitor Craig Connell .

STW996

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 01:47:33 pm »
Do you know Action park is pretty much the same today, still an oil track and only 2 minutes from the heart of town.

Raced there many times as a junior in the late 70's

We should all get together for a race up there?

Who would be up for it??

Shane

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 03:30:27 pm »
Now that WOULD be cool, I'd love to do that. I've been wanting to get back there for a ride for years but it never happens. I think they even have a vintage class, a few of my mates have mentioned that. A few of the locals used to race a vintage class there years ago when I was racing - I think there were regularly a CZ, RH250, an AJS Stormer and so on. Wonder where those are nowadays? Mind you back then I was a young whippersnapper and sort of looked at that race as a bit of an indulgence for the old guys (who I guess were actually maybe 35-40 at the time).

STW996

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 04:03:47 pm »
Yes Graeme I purchased a 74 CR250 from a bloke that was still racing it at Action Park.

A mate of my brothers still runs there so I will ask the question.

Not a 3 hour but I think I would need to beer tent after 3 laps and let Golden Boy Brad (090) do the rest!!

Something to discuss in the down time betwwen heats this weekend

Shane

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 04:38:14 pm »
There you go. Goes to show im still shit with names. Dad had it pretty well right. He was sponsored by Gus Lui as per the sticker on the front guard. I do remember having fun doing it. It was the first time i did dirt track because one of the Owen brothers gave me a tip not to stand up coming into corners  ::)  :D
I did a few more at Tivoli as well. I remember racing against Peter Goddard and fellow mx competitor Craig Connell .

so how did you go in that event Brad. track looks Very fast.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 08:36:41 pm »
It is pretty quick. I have seen about 110 km/hr on the speedo of my TT600 on the back straight, and I know that some have claimed to measure Simon Wigg at up around 125 or so. It's a great sweeper though, I think you can get to around 80/90 on the front straight then pitch it into the sweeper (altho my version of pitching is less pitching and more slowing down).

Anyways, here's the last selection of pics.

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 09:01:46 pm »
so how did you go in that event Brad. track looks Very fast.
We came eighth. I felt pretty happy about that seeing as it was my first. The fast guys went in deep into the first corner before shutting off. That was something that i remembered as it looked cool pushing in that far.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 10:00:11 pm »
I'm pretty sure they still have a vintage class at their meetings. I raced there on my CR125m and CR250m several times in the mid and late 90's. They even had the Qld Vintage dirt track titles there in about '96.
I rode the 3 hour in '81 with Alex Kidas (brad would remember him) and the trackk is still the same today, oil and all.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 11:01:34 pm »
brad
todd started dirttrack racing at nepean with the st george motorcycle club.the bike shop guss lou motorcycles was just down the road from me.this is the first time i have read this and as soon as i saw guss lou on the guard i knew it was tood you road with.
cheers
jim

scudley14

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 05:21:27 pm »

We should all get together for a race up there?

Who would be up for it??

Shane
[/quote]

I also have raced there more times than I can remember, even won the minibike support races
for the 3 hour in 1984.( got it on VHS ! )

When are we going ? I am definately up for it.

Not much fun washing your bike after it , but they don't get destroyed anywhere near as
bad as granite tracks.

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 09:29:38 pm »
im in! i was there 2 years ago and they sure do have vintage classes!

STW996

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 07:22:34 am »
Yes, I purchased a 74 CR 250 from a bloke here in Brisbane (Can't remember his name from Everton Hills) and they were still running the bike (18 months ago) at there meetings.

I will investigate and come back to you on what the go is.

Shane

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 09:16:54 pm »
Was looking at the photos from the 6-Hour that RW490 posted up and reminded me of these pics I posted of the MMCC 3-Hour. I have plenty more photos from old MMCC races I should scan in some time. But these pics really do bring back the memories. I nearly got to ride the 6-Hour one year as a fill-in rider but in the end someone else went instead. I know the granite tracks sandblast the bikes, but man that oil is hard to get off!

You know, I'd still like to get up there for a vintage or even modern ride at Action Park, but it is a bit hard to arrange - I'd need a week off work and it'd cost a fair bit. I was gonna go up for their August meeting but there was a local club day on at the same time here in Canberra. I reckon the only answer is to buy a spare bike, keep it at my parents, and fly up to ride.

STW996

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 05:49:52 am »
Graeme, Brett (brother) and myself have run there a couple of times now, first time was on the 84 cr500 and also the 2010 crf 450 and last time just the 450. have had great fun and a lot of the old members still run the club / track today.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 06:27:15 am »
Yeah, I got out for a look at a practice day there earlier in the year and the track looked great. Everything pretty much the same as ever really, it was funny to stand in the pits again after 20-odd years.  At the moment I am hoping to arrange something for next year... one of these days I'll manage it :)