Author Topic: RM125B top-out springs, is that right?!!!!  (Read 1010 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
RM125B top-out springs, is that right?!!!!
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:35:41 pm »
Hey Guy's, I just pulled my RM125B forks apart and there are two long top-out springs in each leg, is that right?  I figured because of air assist, the long top-out springs would neautralize the action of the main compression spring?

That's a lot of weight in coils reciprocating, anyone got any mods to reduce a top-out spring and run less air?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: RM125B top-out springs, is that right?!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:30:02 pm »
Yes that's how they were.. I run just the shorter/harder topout spring and a longer preload spacer on the main spring with a higher fork oil level and just a little air.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:40:52 pm »
Yes that's how they were.. I run just the shorter/harder topout spring and a longer preload spacer on the main spring with a higher fork oil level and just a little air.

Thanks, I'll look to see what I can do.  I have a set of PE175 forks here I can rob springs out if it suits.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 12:44:05 pm »
Just watch out for the length overall if you take out the spring. it can go well over pre 78 travel lenght the spring space has to be right and you have to change the compression spring if you use alot less air than  reccomended. The RM B manual has a graph of air to oil to give you the settings you want, they actually work really well standard once you get the oil / air levels right and it keeps them legal.
 This is the only RM  with this fork set up .I think?
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:22:26 pm »
If you increase spring preload and raise the oil level you will get a stiffer fork and can run little or no air.
All the C models had the same spring setup as 125B