Author Topic: Sometimes you just get lucky. Good things do happen.  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
Sometimes you just get lucky. Good things do happen.
« on: April 13, 2012, 07:14:51 pm »
Hi Honda Guys,
I am putting this here because if anyone is going to appreciate how pleased I am with this bike and how cool I think it's pedigree is it is you guys. Hopefully some of you will. I only discovered VMX late 2010. Once I decided to ride again, it took me a while to decide which bike to look for as my race bike. Then it hit me, look for my all time favourite bike which was my 79 CR250 RZ.
After searching around for a while, this bike came up on US eBay. I couldn't believe my luck. It was the exact model I was looking for and had been race prepped for of all people, Graham Noyce, and was owned by Brad Lackey. After being top bidder a couple of times but under the reserve, I finally did the deal and a mate brought it out to Aus for me.
When I received it, it was in great shape. I just put fuel in it and rode it. All I had to do is stiffen up the spring preload a notch or two in the shocks, put a smaller main jet in and away I went, and man does it handle. I don't know what they've done to it but it is a joy to ride. I love this bike!
Well the other day, I decided to search for the info on the bikes background and found this link. The bike was prepared for Graham to ride the "AHRMA Vintage-Am 2009" race series Europe vs USA in conjunction with the 7th annual Diamond Dons. Having lived, breathed and dreamed motocross all my teens and early 20s through the late 70s and early 80s I think this is pretty cool and as my wife just glazes over when I attempt to 'share' this stuff with her, I thought I'd tell you guys.

Here is the link to the race

http://2wheelcommunications.com/DD2009.htm

Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes you just get lucky. Good things do happen.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:20:23 pm »
Nice Ken. Well Done
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 07:56:15 pm »
as my wife just glazes over when I attempt to 'share' this stuff with her, I thought I'd tell you guys.

Let your wife know that this beautiful piece of eye candy, also attended the special wedding at DD's as guest of honer to the bride and groom in clean riding gear..true story...vmx mag #38  ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 08:51:46 pm »
That"s a great story, and the bike is beautiful. I am not a Honda man so usually CRs do nothing for me, but I have to say that the 79s just do happen to be one of the most visually appealing vintage MXers. And yours is a brilliant example.