Author Topic: Early RM Aluminum Steering Stems - Do they exist?  (Read 873 times)

McGillicutty

Early RM Aluminum Steering Stems - Do they exist?
« on: April 03, 2012, 12:41:52 am »
Hello all, I've been told that there were a few early Suzuki RM models (76-78 perhaps) that came with aluminum steering stems and I was wondering if anyone in the cyber VMX world can confirm this. If that is true does anyone know which model(s) and model year(s) had the aluminum stems and even better would be a Suzuki part number. To take it a step further would be if anyone had one they would part with or at least be able to provide a few dimensions so I could fabricate one in the event I can`t purchase one. My intention is to use this stem on a TM400 and again I've been told the early RM triple clamps and stem are interchangeable with the TM400.  As always thanks for the assistance.

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Early RM Aluminum Steering Stems - Do they exist?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:52:28 pm »
I cant say i've ever heard this but you would only need to copy dimensions from std in alloy i guess. But WHY
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

McGillicutty

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:09:56 am »
I would think that if an aluminum version had been made by Suzuki it may be heavier walled to compensate for the relatively weaker material aluminum is compared to steel so that's why I don't want to fabricate one from aluminum to the same dimensions.  As for the why question, the steel piece is fairly heavy and I suspect I could save about half a pound of weight if I found an aluminum one or fabricated one from titanium which is probably what I'll do if I can't find an aluminum one.  Half a pound may not sound like much but when this mindset is maintained through the entire bike build it all adds up to a more weight savings than one might imagine. 

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:47:46 am »
Aluminium head stems, and the bolt that screws into the top end of the stem, are available from the UK to fit the Yamaha TY175 and TY250, replacing the original steel stem and steel bolt. I suspect that this item would fit some of the Yamaha MX bikes of the same era, but would not recommend using one due to the reduced strength.
Haven't seen one advertised for any Suzukis.
previous pseudonym feetupfun