Author Topic: An interesting use/concept for a motorcycle.  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
An interesting use/concept for a motorcycle.
« on: March 30, 2008, 12:48:22 pm »
I found this beastie at the VJMC 25th Anniversary Rally at Tamborine yesterday.
There was a poster in front of this 'bike' fully outlining its use.
For the uninitiated, here's a brief summary of 'Lure Coursing':

This bike is used to drag plastic bags across an open field and these bags are chased by dogs.
Bike is propped at one end of an open paddock/field/oval.
Cable (steel or plastic?) is wound around the rear rim; it's dragged off the rim and taken across the paddock.
A series of rollers are staked in place and the cable is threaded around them (this allows turns and bends as the cable is retrieved).
A plastic bag is tied to the cable and the dogs wait for the fun to begin.
Bike is started and knocked into gear - wheel turns - cable is wound in and dogs chase the trailing plastic bag across the paddock.
Dogs think this is right up there with eating and rooting (I made that up).

Some serious water cooling has been added to the bike as it can run at full noise for up to five hours.
Usual practice is to use a vehicle starter motor for this sport, but these guys are in another league...
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting use/concept for a motorcycle.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 12:56:26 pm »
Arse end shots:
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 01:37:41 pm »
when i saw all the pics of the dogs, well i just couldn't understand why i was looking at it? so i moved along to get another snag from the barbie. but now that you've explained it, i do recall the front tyre was bald! i wonder how that happened?
damn dogs...
"flat bickie"

Doc

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 07:46:21 pm »
mmm..takes all types I guess  :-\ seems like a bit of a waste of a little CBR250R when in thoery any bike would suffice. More like something I'd expect to see at Nimbin or one of those other lateral thinking societies  :D

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 07:53:30 pm »
Yeah, I had mixed emotions.
I like to see dogs hunting plastic bags without mechanical aids, just as nature intended...