Author Topic: PE175 clutch problem  (Read 2482 times)

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
PE175 clutch problem
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:08:33 pm »
Assistance required please with a draging clutch on a PE175C. All plates are within width spec. no warpage eveident, clutch basket has been re-machined to remove finger wear marks, springs are all within length spec, recent rebuild with all new bearings, seals through out.
Strange thing is that with the clutch lever pulled fully in against the handlebar grip it is worst than as the lever is released, say 10mm out from the bars.

I'm confused... all help and ideas appreciated.

oldfart

Re: PE175 clutch problem
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:35:56 pm »
Pete- have you forgot to put the thrust washer on the rack ??
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:40:58 pm by oldfart »

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:09:01 pm »
Stew, no, the thrust washer etc is all in place. This has been an ongoing issue with one of Ed's PE's. It wasn't right when last rode a year or so ago and it just got shelved and forgotten about for a while.

He's keen to ride it this weekend at Murphy's Creek, I was at his place this evening with the clutch cover off, clutch apart, checked the rack and thrust washer, everything seemed to be correct, still drags.
Like i said, funny thing it is worst with the clutch lever pulled all the way in, than 10mm or so short of the grip!

Very strange and confusing.

Pete

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:23:41 pm »
if the clutch looks fine, then perhaps wrong engine oil...

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 07:36:53 am »
Do you have the correct cable and lever? Using a lever and perch from another brand could have a different lever ratio, or simply not be pulling enough cable...

Just in case...
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 03:57:39 pm »
Are they New plates ......Did you soak them in oil first prior to install.
Is the clutch basket a firm fit on drive shaft ( No bearing slop ) as this will have a binding affect on the external fingers.
I will be home in the morning  ;)

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 06:45:10 pm »
Hey i found with a rm 370 that was rebuilt by a friend that the clutch was dragging and turns out the clutch cover had flex when you pulled te lever in, you could see the case where the pinion shaft goes moving in and out guess that has somethin to do with metal fatigue.... may not be but wise to have a look
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 07:30:15 pm »
I had the same trouble with a CR. I found were the clutch actuator arm went through the clutch cover it had worn the hole in the cover egg shaped. I had it machined out and put a brass bush in the cover :) Darcy
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:25:45 pm »
Thanks to all for your responses, the egg shaped hole for the actuator is interesting, we will need to check this one out.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:13:49 pm »
did it get solved? What was it?

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 07:16:07 pm »
Sorry i can't provide an update yet, the poor old thing still hasn't been looked at since the ride it was taken out on a couple of weeks ago. It's not my bike and i'm sure the owner (PERM250) hasn't looked at it yet either.
The last post gave a possible maybe, i've been gathering opinion to see if anyone else has had similar issues hense the post here.

Will keep everyone informed of developments, both possitive and negative but it could take a few weeks.

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 08:07:16 pm »
ED....  Do you have too many irons in the fire  ;D ;D