Author Topic: Advice Needed From Friends Down Under  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Advice Needed From Friends Down Under
« on: March 21, 2008, 06:59:58 am »
I need sincere and frank advice from you guys.  I'm involved in running the AHRMA "Post-Vintage" races in Northern California and we just can't seem to grow the sport for bikes of this era.  The Vintage bikes draw between 200-300 entries on a regular basis, but we never seem to crack the 100 entry mark (sometime less than 60).  I have racked my brain for the last few years trying to figure out how to improve these numbers for post-75, pre-85 bikes.

AHRMA Vintage is large enough to fill a whole day and the long-travel bikes get the second day by themselves.  Needless to say only 60 entries is hard for any promoter to swallow (covers costs only).  I have started a website, left flyers in bikes shops around Northern Cal, we have had races with Modern Bike Vet groups and had many people talk to us about our bikes, but no takers yet.  We have even offered to lone our bikes to people on many occasions.

How did your organizations get high levels of participation for the post-75, pre-85 bikes?
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Needed From Friends Down Under
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 07:43:14 am »
Tough question T-Red. Could you incourage more pre75 riders to stay for the second day by dropping the entry to half price if entered for the first day? Over here we have an enduro class that caters for all the XR200/250 KDX175 PE's and IT's. As these bikes were usually one of the first bikes ever owned by riders, it brings back fond memories. The class attracts good numbers.
I thing you are already doing most of the usual things to build the numbers up. Could some high profile MXers of the time be invited to race(help promote) the post75-pre85 races? How about static displays of good examples of these bikes at different events?
I wish you good luck.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:49:00 am »
Jay, not saying it will be any help but here in NSW pre 85 250 has the best grids, best riders and tightest racing.Getting some good riders will help, but your on the right track of promotion,promotion and even more promotion.Like any 'business' it takes some time to cut through , and along those lines find/promote your strengths and info pump anyone that talks to you about pre-85.Then work at dispelling 'myths'(like parts are hard to get/expensive) and you can promote the 'bring 2 bikes double your fun type thing'.
HTH
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 07:07:47 pm »
T-Red,
Having seen both sides, USA (Glen Helen) and East Coast of Australia, there is one distinct difference that i have noted. In USA tracks appear to be owned an operated by a single entity (a promotor for want of a better word) whereas Australian tracks are generally owned, or at least the title to the land, by the local government (here in Oz they are called councils) and the tracks are leased or given to a club that is run as a not for profit organization by volunteers. The end result is that race meetings are run for the rider with a break even at best and promoting the sport of MX as the main goal, not just making money. An example is that VIPER will run a series of events in the state of Victoria and attract 60-70 entries with a further 20-30 modern bikes and most clubs will be happy if they break even and rapt if they make a $, mainly because they believe that they are "promoting" Post75 to Pre85 MX. At the end of the day we see a race meeting as a promotion of the sport, not a money making venture, which, i believe, are what Californian MX track owners are about.

If I'm off the mark, then please set me strait as perhaps i have got the interpretation of the N-Cal & So-Cal community all wrong.

P:S: Have you got a race meeting on the go in early November?   :)
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 04:02:19 am »
Thank you all !

You have given me some ideas I hadn't thought of.

1. Add some classes that normally are ignored to build the the entry numbers.

2. Get on modern discussion boards and talk up Vintage racing (post-74, pre-85).

3. Get info out there to dispell myths and make a step by step process on getting started available to potential riders.

4. Possibly form a non-profit organization that could use state owned tracks like the old GP track at Hollister Hills.

:)

Bahnsy,

There is an AHRMA Vintage (Pre-75) National is the Central Valley of California on November 9th.  Are you planning a trip?  If you are, there is also a National at the Hollister hills GP track on October 12th.  If you can make either and need a bike to ride just let me know.
 ;)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:06:34 am by Tahitian_Red »
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen