Author Topic: Bike carrier  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Bike carrier
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:01:02 pm »
I know there have been discussions on various trailers before (and God forbid I have had a CRAFT moment and have already asked this question) but has anyone had any experience with the bike carriers that mount onto the Hayman Reese type towbar - carry one dirt bike?

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Bike carrier
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:22:26 am »
is it for your gopher ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 09:49:24 am »
They are a great idea, a little over priced in my opinion, l ended up making my own for about a third of the cost and it work's fine, l took a bike all the way from Brisbane to Melbourne  and back 6 month's ago with no drama's at all, you can get an accessory Number plate from main roads department for $30 and put a trailer board on for your light's and away ya go........... Bike's l've had on my rack include- CR250-EXC300-Husky610-KTM 520EXC..........
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:51:13 am »
thanks.  Freaky - trying to work out the logistics of getting to this years Nats - one bike in perth, maybe one in Queensland, and Ross not around currently.  Maybe drive across and bring bike back?  Some of the trsansport companies are expensive QLD to Perth and I need a car over there and need my gear over there but.................
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 11:58:01 am »
Back in 1972 we had a similar problem because dad's trailer was always loaded with his bricklaying gear.  My uncle who was a talented boilermaker/maintenance fitter came up with an idea to build a bike carrier like the ones you see today, to go on the back of the family Kingswood. This was before the days of tie downs and he made a bracket that bolted to the frame of my SL70 to hold it on. We went everywhere with it, and I always wondered why they didn't catch on till now.  I think he missed out on a lucrative business.  He also converted his Landrover ute into a twin cab.  Not to mention building my dad a trailer in 1958 that was used daily to carry scaffolding and is still in use today.

If I didn't have a ute I would seriously look into using one. 

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 05:01:38 pm »

thanks.  Freaky - trying to work out the logistics of getting to this years Nats - one bike in perth, maybe one in Queensland, and Ross not around currently.  Maybe drive across and bring bike back?  Some of the trsansport companies are expensive QLD to Perth and I need a car over there and need my gear over there but.................

Too true. Cheaper to drive over have a holiday and bring it back yourself. Just got quoted $1230 to bring one bike from Perth to Queensland.

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 06:11:00 pm »
ouch - that is what I guesstimated to.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B