Author Topic: Shockies for a Godden  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Shockies for a Godden
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:43:07 pm »
Looking for some help. Restoring a godden longtracker back to a short circuit slider, have put a set of braked wheels in and changed the rear 22'' wheel to a 19''. Have set the swingarm, axle position to a point where it sits the same as for the 22'' therefore obtaining the same ground clearance for engine/gearbox plates.This requires a longer set of rear shocks (360mm)  Wondering what sort of shock would be good for this,what spring load would need for a 110kg rider. Setting it up for a couple of rides per year so I just looking for something that is reasonable in price and longevity (looks also a consideration i do tend to like a bit of bling in the old restorations).
Rosco86

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Shockies for a Godden
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:53:16 pm »
Rosco, I'm guessing that the frame would be fire engine red and the fibre glass either white or yellow.  Goddens came with black or chrome shocks, Girlings. I liked the yellow glass . I've got some Godden catalogues with all you need to know so i can photo copy the page on suspension if you want.  Foss might be the man in regards to what weight settings you will need.  I'm thinkin' STIFF ;D ;D   regards,   Mark

Curly3

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:26:58 pm »
Stiff is important for a slider, not to mention guy's of our age.
Something close to original is def the way to go.
Looking forward to seeing it back on track.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:30:44 am »
Yep, good advice from the guys, Rossco, I have sourced suitable shocks, off a twin shock roadie, from wreckers, the spring rate needed depends on a couple things so it's a bit suck it and see.

If ya get stuck , I have a couple of 350mm or 13 1/2 " you could try for size, just cover the postage.
You would have to sort the eye bush size out , oh yeah , another trick was to weld another eye on the top mount of the shock so you could alter head angle slightly if needed.

Oh yeah , bling, they are chromies with a short chrome top spring cap.
Let us know how ya go

How about a pic or three of it !!
Foss

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 07:42:10 pm »
Thanks guys. Bike is nickel plated, as it was when I got it from Don Stafford in 1978. It is a centreport and stamped 7708118. Don raced it late in 77 so I think its Nats eligible. Will post some piccies when I relearn. John Titman just finished the wheels and he showed me one of his bikes with the double eye setup. Hadnt seen that used down in Vic. I used to swap the motor to a jawa centreport frame to ride at the Brooklyn and Avalon Speedways. Have the shockies, exhaust, clutch, cables and chains to go to finish. I wont be going quick on it as I have 5 fused discs in the back but hope to add to the numbers
Rosco 86

Curly3

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 08:01:08 pm »
Absolutely no pressure Rossco, we're just looking forward to seeing another Slider back on track.
The forgotten/neglected era.

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 08:08:45 pm »
Hey Rosco,
         Go to page 50 & 51 dirt track images. I posted a couple of pics of Don Stafford riding at Seymour '77. That might be your bike he is on!!  If it is i might have some other photos of it .  Mark

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:31:23 pm »
Just had a look at those pics and i'm thinkin' he's riding an Elstar JAP. Over to you Foss :)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 08:46:25 pm »
Godden in 1978. Also a shot of the Cole Elstar at bendigo 77.

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 04:44:32 pm »
That Godden is grouse Rosco! Can't wait to see a photo of it when it's finished. I don't know what it is about those slidin' things but i just love 'em. I,d like to have one of each :) a longtrack and a short circuit
 Nice to dream. regards   Mark