Author Topic: YZ250E  (Read 3455 times)

valleyam

YZ250E
« on: October 30, 2011, 08:33:19 am »
I'm new to this forum, so hopefully I dont get canned with one of my first posts. I've got a YZ250E. Bought it for $500 back in 1994 as a bike to have a bit of fun on. I couldn't get it to run cleanly no matter what I did and ended up seizing the motor in the process of changing fuel settings. Had the motor rebuilt and to my disgust it still ran like crap. Took it to my local bike shop and he tracked it down to the stator needing to be rewound. Got that done and all has been well since. I picked up another motor through the old OZVMX market place site and currently have that in the bike. It goes ok but doesn't set the world on fire.
I haven't riden the bike since last year, but have suddenly regained a new interst in it. Over the years I have been puzzled by the lack of this model around. I thought there were hundreds of them back in the 70s when they were released but could it be that they have all been thrashed and placed on a tip never to be seen again. I see a few rare glimpses of basket cases from time to time. But nothing worth bothering about. Are there any other owners out there, willing to share their knowledge and experiences of this model. I am not a mechanic but would be gratefull of where to start on the road to bringing this bike back to its best. everything on the bike appears to be original except the forks are made by DG and have KX125 written in them, I think they are from the same era. Having read a report on the bike from when they were released it would appear that the motors on the "E" were build to very similar specs ( as far as porting etc) to a road racing engine and require a lot of clutch to get them moving out of corners etc. I also thought it was unusual to find a 6 speed gear box on a bike built at that time. Are the rear shocks rebuildable? Anyway feel free to add comments as I am very interested to hear what other members know of this bike.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: YZ250E
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 09:10:33 am »
I'm a big fan of the yz125E (owner one for many years) and 250E which i have recently purchased and paid way too much for. I am currently restoing the 250 to race. These bikes were the first of the alloy swing arm and cromoloy frame for yamaha. Looks like a good bike. The F had a 6 speed box, i didn't realise the E also had 6 speed as i havenot ridden it in race or anger yet.
Cheers Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

valleyam

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:02:18 pm »
Hi oldYZman glad to hear theres someone else with a YZ250E. I've also got a YZ125G its not been ridden for a while now but when its going it goes quite well. I got an article on the YZ250E from "back on the day" web site.
http://www.backinthedaymx.com/1978yz250e.html

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 10:28:38 pm »
Gee thats quite a speel on the 78 model, maybe i did not pay too much for it...
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 10:47:42 pm »
Gee thats quite a speel on the 78 model, maybe i did not pay too much for it...
Brett

Quite a bit of BS in there but they were a popular model .The 250 was the first to be redesigned with the smaller ,lighter motor.The 400 got the changes is 79.

The shock and fork have the same travel as the D but the extra overlap on the forks is correct.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 10:55:35 pm »
I raced a 250E back in '78 and while they were a decent bike it probably wasn't the best 250 out there.
These days the YZ250G & H are the Yamaha's of choice for the Evo class so that's why you don't see too many E models at VMX meetings.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 11:15:29 pm »
I raced a 250E back in '78 and while they were a decent bike it probably wasn't the best 250 out there.
These days the YZ250G & H are the Yamaha's of choice for the Evo class so that's why you don't see too many E models at VMX meetings.

JO the jump from pre 78 to EVO class has left most of the 78 models outclassed.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 11:25:37 pm »

JO the jump from pre 78 to EVO class has left most of the 78 models outclassed.
Yeah exactly, the '78 YZ and RM are good bikes but the '80/'81 models are much improved and it's much the same in a several of the vintage era's.

number 87

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 03:06:03 pm »
Hi valleyam, welcome to the land of peaky engines, i have a 250E and hence have a parts manual, fiche and a service supplement, just in case you ever need part #'s etc give us a shout.

Cheers

valleyam

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 07:03:35 pm »
Hi # 87 thanks for the heads up on that. It good to know that there are some other YZ250E out there. Your right about them being peaky. Its either on the pipe or its well and truely off. Makes for interesting riding when I get off my CRF250X and jump straight on the YZ.  I have resisted spending any more money on the YZ after I spent around $900 having the motor rebuilt about 10 years ago and thinking it was a waste of money. I now have a different motor in the bike and could be tempted to make the effort to slowly bring the bike back to its former glory. I dont think its about the value of the bike anymore its about retaining a piece of history. Would still be interested to know what its worth but wouldn't be selling it any time soon.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 07:32:56 pm »
$$$$ for YZ250E

I do find my 125E peaky to ride, is the 250 as much fun?

I reckon a shitter just running is worth $1000 up
A reasonable running bike from $2000 up add more if it has some positive points like respoked straight orig wheels etc.
A pristine one has to be worth around $4000 up, cause we all know how much it costs to build a pristine bike.
Cheers Brett

Trevor H

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 10:46:20 pm »
Just noticed this post.
I bought a YZ250E early last year but due to work commitments, a health scare and other bike projects it hasnt been ridden yet.
I bought mine as a trip down nostalgia lane.
The YZ250E was the first bike I bought new back in 1978 when i was an apprentice truck mechanic and couldnt resist when one came up on ebay.
Hard to believe that was thirty four years ago.
Mine came via Mike Hughes in Bendigo and he also assisted me with sourcing new plastics and a new exhaust and muffler.
I hope to find time this year (2012) to get it tidied up and have a ride at last.
Cheers
Trevor

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:20:38 am »
I too have a YZ125E (Had it from new) & a YZ250E (In bits but complete, paid $1000)

oldyzman
The 125E should not be peaky. I have 125F's as well & due to porting cahnges were peakier than the E. It's on the pipe or nothing at all.
When my daughter raced I had to put the E motor in the F frame for that reason. She could not "Hold it on" the way the F needed to be ridden but the E motor suited her "Roll on the throttle" style of riding. So much so she ended up 3rd overall in Clubman that year. The E certainly has more low to mid range pull (As much as a 125 can muster) than the F.

I would suspect the barrel you have has had some porting work done.

valleyam

No expert on anything (Except maybe drinking beer, still learning) but have many Yamaha's and know a bit about them, particularily the electrics. Give me a call if you are stuck on something, I may be able to help.

Viper666 0427 334 186
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:25:17 am by Viper666 »
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?