Author Topic: Dumb things done to repair a Bike(Horror Stories)  (Read 3290 times)

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Dumb things done to repair a Bike(Horror Stories)
« on: December 29, 2011, 11:58:38 am »
My son in law brings around a 89-90 RM250 looks pretty straight for its age , checked over a few things engine not great but runs, take out for test ride runs ok gears seem fine, me thinks so give it a bit of a gas up bloody clutch is slipping back to shed and report on findings, should be ok with a freshen up you know rings bearings seals ect clutch plates might be incorect oil. So drain oil remove clutch cover oh dear clutch basket only 3 springs good reason for clutch to slip , the horror of horrors who ever had it apart last time must have lost the primary drive nut cause the loosers have welded the primary gear straight to the crank..... and stuffed a reasonable bike so now to find some parts....what are your Horror stories ???
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb things done to repair a Bike(Horror Stories)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:12:19 pm »
Ive seen the front rack on a Suzuki farm bike welded directly onto the fork tubes  ???
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 12:30:11 pm »
Yes ,many years ago I took my Ducati to Ron angels in bridge road richmond.Only when I got it back I fell off at the bridge road punt road intersection.When I inspected the bike I found the rear tyre was soaked in oil.To get the drive spocket bearing out they had drilled holes in the crank case.p
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:42:57 pm »
Just a touch of Aussie Ingenuity is all !!..... ;)  ;D

something not right about this hill billy kick start collection  :-\

The true "shot gun Exhaust "

Best is in the West !!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 12:50:09 pm »
I've seen some gems in my time but the best was the Yamaha Ag 100 with the steel pipe 'WELDED' to the alloy barrel. Even the most non mechanical among us know that steel can't be welded to aluminium but some deluded cocky must have spent two or three hours trying if the build up of stick weld and slag inclusion
are anything to do with it. What made the bike even worse was that the gear lever, kick starter and counter shaft sprocket were also welded solid. Amazingly, the little bike ran like a swiss watch and we got four or five trouble free years out of it on the farm before it finally shit itself. Because the little Ag had been so badly treated in its previous life, everyone who rode her while we had her treated her with respect.I wish  I had a photo of that little orange bike.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 01:21:14 pm »
Or you could use this to get a bike going.
Surely the seller's taking the piss?  ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 02:23:55 pm »
He does say in his add;

REMEMBER THIS IS A USED PART EXPECT SOME WEAR ON IT
When you shop with us, you can shop with confidence.
All items come to you are money-back-guaranteed to be as described, with no undisclosed or hidden flaws or damage.

YES - There is some wear on it.
And NO - there are no hidden flaws or damage, they are quiet obvious.
At least it comes with a circlip, albeit also slightly damaged.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 06:07:23 pm »
Posted before, but worth remembering if you want to make a set of CR250 forks fit into IT175 triple clamps.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:50:42 pm »
Mate bought me a CR125 to look at because he couldn't get 5th gear.
I pulled it down and the gear was NOT there.
My mate wouldn't have it that it was missing.
The story was that his dad owned a garage and the mechanic had rebuilt the motor.
After a heap of arguments he went back to the garage and found the gear in that grid/drain that they used to have in the workshop doorway. ???
I put it back on the shaft and away he went.
Dickead.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 07:30:57 pm »
Hurts to look at those forks Col.
This isn't a repair job,just a service a mate of mine did to his own bike.
He'd recently purchased a TT350,not sure of the year of the model. Up where we are situated you kinda just do your own services,and call on help when you need it for difficult areas.
We headed out to a dam to do a spot of exploration on our bikes. Old mate started his bike,but it sounded really restricted,and didnt have any power at all. I took it for a spin,and said it felt like the carbies are strangled. Anyway he said that up until the day previous it was running ok,then he serviced it that night . Rightio. Asked him about his air-filter,he said "it turned to mush when I poured kero on it to wash it."
Ok lets have a look at what you are using for a filter.
Turns out he used a sock to cover the air filter frame. I asked him why he even would think that'd work,and his reply was,"well my sock had plenty of holes in it so I thought it would be ok."
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 07:58:41 pm »
Theres some crackers on here, ;D
My self back in NZ when i was around 12 or so dad said to me one day
 have you checked the oil in the gear box of that Yamaha AG 100
 (A true classic icon bike in NZ buy the way) I said yes its toped up, but i throught when the gear box is full it has to be spewing out of the
fuller hole.... :D  not long after that it locked up in top gear dont no if it was a oil thing or not.. :-\ ;D

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 10:54:24 pm »
Or you could use this to get a bike going.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130610507860?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Me thinks even Arthur Daley would have trouble shifting that...............for other quality mx parts just visit
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 10:56:31 pm »
I bought a very sad-looking TY250B many years ago from Gympie (for not much money). It had early Matador forks fitted to it (which are 35mm tubes). They had filed the Yamaha triple clamp holes out to get the bigger tubes to fit (from 34mm) and it was not neatly done at all - rough as guts actually. They had also used a hard red filler that looked to me like loctite to fill in the gaps. As I was pulling the fork tubes at home out I noticed that one of them was bent like a banana.
Same bike-another dodgy thing - there was no bashplate under the motor (no frame tubes under there either), and the motor mount bolts were all very loose. All three holes were elongated and cracking at the ends of the holes. The bottom of the motor was amazingly intact considering the lack of protection.
The seat pad had come loose at some stage from the fibreglass seat surround - no probs- it had been reattached with a 3/8 bolt and huge washer, right through the seat cover.
The rear inner guard was made from a car tyre inner tube held on with electrical wire.
The shockies had been reoiled with something pretty thick and the fill hole welded over. Might as well have been solid rods instead of shockies.
It still ran! I wasn't game to test ride it though.
previous pseudonym feetupfun