Author Topic: Ross Martin retires  (Read 3885 times)

211kawasaki

Ross Martin retires
« on: October 12, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »
The news of the day is that Ross Martin will retire at the end of the year. For those who dont know Ross he is the man behind the scenes at MA that has looked after us and our sport for the last 8 years and Commissions Manager.

Ross is a genuine lover of VMX and a great contributor to the sport that should not be underestimated; he will also leave a big hole in the organisation called MA.

For me he has become a great friend and Im looking forward to attempting the impossible (surviving a night on the booze) with him at the next event (non race meeting of course!).

Dave Tanner

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Ross Martin retires
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 01:31:21 PM »
Us here in the west, have also lost a very dedicated MWA worker whom knew her job and did it very well, Decima Johns..one lady that will be missed terribly--taken by the mining boom.  :(
I never met Ross personally,though he was good on emails and always responded to any questions..hope the replacement is just as good at corresponding  8) Enjoy your next endeavours Ross.
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 02:38:06 PM »
Quick ross endorse my Level 4 RS before you leave mate :O)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:58:23 PM »

For me he has become a great friend and Im looking forward to attempting the impossible (surviving a night on the booze) with him at the next event (non race meeting of course!).

Dave Tanner

Good luck Dave, he was at our campfire at Harrow so I've seen how he operates when he relaxes  :D  Best of luck for the future Ross.

WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

albrid-3

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 06:34:13 PM »
Best of luck for the future Ross, you have done the sport great, now you can concerntate on restoring your bikes for vmx racing and having a ride with your club members.

Offline steve7406

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 06:50:16 PM »
Ross Martin the man you go to when clarification on rules is needed i've got to know ross quite well over the years never a question to silly or hard he  allways made sense he will be greatly missed big shoes to fill i hope to catch with him at this weekends motogp.
2000 Yamaha WR400f
1980 Suzuki RM250t
1977 Suzuki RM125b                                         
1975 Yamaha MX250b
1973 Yamaha mx360 (on the rebuild table)                                                               
1972 Yamaha dt1 250
1976 Suzuki ts 185

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 08:08:07 PM »
Enjoy your retirement Ross, you can now put some more time into your old bikes ;D. I'm sure we'll run into each other around the traps.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 08:50:59 PM »
A good soldier, Ross actually managed to transform the MA commission from being a faceless "THEM", to compiling input and feedback to annual commission minutes, and making those conduits accessible to all.  Not many people realise that he was also the Clerk of Course for the original, mindblowing 1989 Phillip Island 500 Grand Prix, and several others subsequently. Has a genuine love of old gear and will cruise into retirement happily, I reckon. Well done from both sides of the fence... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »
Please tell me you are joking Dave, Ross makes our job easier and more enjoyable and I will sadly miss him when dealing with MA
I have had a lot of Boags Beer with Ross and shit he can drink so if you are going to drink with him Dave you better bring your A GAME.
Ross it will be a shame if you do retire  :(. We better have a drink soon if you are really going So look out in November when I am next in town.

Good luck and lock up your Greeves now he is on the prowl

Fatboy 

Offline Jasper

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 09:09:48 AM »
Many thanks for the kind words.
I have tried to make MA more friendly to competitors and officials, and have always tried to answer all questions put to me quickly.

I am sure I will initially regret retiring, but I have many project bikes (Greeves and others) to restore and ride, and I will still be around to help out at meetings when asked.

I am still at MA until December 23rd.

Regards,

Ross Martin

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 09:41:09 AM »
Hey Ross  :-)  I am sorry to hear that you are leaving MA but glad to hear that you'll still be involved with motorcycling.

Since I started racing in '74 I had been unaware of the great things that members of MA (and MV) had done for our sport, I'm sure many other racers were in the same boat.  I guess we just see D White cruising around in nice cars and flying overseas on racers contributions and think that we are being 'touched'.  As racers, all our time is consumed with racing so we don't get time to see what goes on behind the scenes; since I have stepped back a little from the intense scene of racing I now see the hard working & dedicated members of the controlling bodies. Of which you are one of these dedicated persons.

You of everyone at MA & MV stand out in my mind, since the mid 90's you always remembered my name and would approach me and shake my hand and you'd also send information to me that you thought I'd be interested in when I worked for a motorcycle importers.

I really hope that the person that fills your position at MA is a true enthusiast as you.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:54:53 AM by John Orchard »
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
Can only agree ,I had a need to get clarification on a eligabilty question for Period 6 road racing, rang left a message, Ross returned my call with in 30mins and gave me a answer on the spot. Can only hope his successor is as efficient.
Happy retirement Ross (but once in never out ;D)
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Jasper

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 11:31:07 AM »
G'day All,

Today is the final day that I work at Motorcycling Australia.
I hope that they soon employ somebody to take over my role, but no takers as yet.

Although I am retiring from MA, I will not be lost to the sport.
I look forward to catching up with fellow believers.

Thanks,

Ross Martin

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 11:46:40 AM »
Thanks for all that you've contributed over the years Ross. I've had a love/hate relationship with MA and MNSW over the years but you've always been approachable, agreeable and fully on the side of the vintage side of our sport. You and the CMX Commission blokes have done a great job in helping keep the classic movement valid and moving forward.

Now you can enjoy the sport with your lovely old British scramblers without having to wear the MA hat. I hope to see you and your old mate Rod McD at a few of the biggun's in 2012. There's always a beer for you in Kafe del Kevlar so drop on in at the HBBB and CD9.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Tony T

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 04:12:23 PM »

Good on ya, Ross. You might be able to have a quiet beer tonight?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 04:16:26 PM by Tony T »