Author Topic: Unique Maico  (Read 8565 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Unique Maico
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 12:45:13 pm »
the books in german so i dont know what there saying .weres walter when you need him  i get him to deciefer when im stuck

firko

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 12:57:52 pm »
Paul you've uncovered the rarest of the rare Maicos, A Motoball special. Motoball is this weird soccer like game they play in Europe. It looks like a cross between Soccer, gymkhana and Roller Derby to me. All of the big Euro manufacturers made bikes specifically for Motoball. Who'd believe it? Ulrich, my German Maico collector friend has one but even he knows of no other round barrel versions surviving.

Even Bultaco made a Motoball Special

An early MZ Motoball bike.
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.theoffside.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/motoball.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.theoffside.com/world-football/motoball-soccer-played-on-motorcycles.html&h=200&w=182&sz=10&hl=en&start=9&tbnid=HuMHLvoDLobMSM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=95&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmotoball%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PclrSGSZIG4
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:29:37 pm by firko »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 01:07:21 pm »
here another neat 77 gs with a 501

firko

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 01:16:23 pm »

This is taken from the Maico Madness site
Motoball

In Maico Madness you ask for more pictures and information about Maico. Probably you will be interrested in my story about it. In 1978 our Motoracing team "De Blokhut" stopped his existance, the members of this team did not want to stop their whole club so they started looking for an other option which was related to Motorsport. Since about 1960 in Dordrecht (beside Rotterdam) Motoball was played. Our members got interrested in this game and started their own club by then. What is Motoball? Motoball is, like the name says, playing football on motorcycles. The bikes can have maximum 250cc and they need some assimilation like being closer to the ground etc. The ball is 45 cm across. The rules are fundamentely the same like in a soccer game. A team exists of 4 players on motorclycles and one padestrian goalkeeper. This sport is quite popular in the East European countries like Belarus, Russia etc. Every summer we have a European Championschip, this year in France (Valreas). The countries who take place are: Germany, Holland, France, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia and Lithuania. Enough about the sport himself now. When our club started in 1978 we started playing with Bultaco 250cc crossers. About four years later we discovered that the Bultaco's where not fast enough to deal with the German Maicos and the French Honda's. So we started to build our own Maico's. At first we used the 1980 machines and later the 1981 Maicos. Later in the 1980ies-1990ies the Maico engine parts got more and more expensive so that we needed something else. Then we removed the Maico engines and builded Rotax engines in the Maico frames. Today we still have one real Maico in our team which is about to disappear when we have a good option for the engine (Rotax stopped building the engines that we use too). That's why now I am looking for a probably younger and water cooled Maico engine, but I don't have much information about it. If you could give me any information (about the price of a whole engine and the parts, horsepower etc.)I would be verry grateful You can always give me a mail, my adress is [email protected]
Kenny Houben

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 01:25:44 pm »
Lets get to it and start building our own version, using trail oldies (Goalies have Maicos!!!), mix the high marking from Aussie Rules + lots of strong body tackles from The Mighty League , Full pack butt sniffing scrums from Rugby and a sooky fake fall down screaming round ball from the Nancy boy game.   :D YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 03:31:16 pm »
Wow thanks for the memory!
Me and several mates tried this on our pushbikes back in 1975 (I was 15).
All the kids in my street were soccer players at that time.
I don't recall if the inspiration was a clip on the telly or we saw photos in a book, but we shot up the park to try out Motoball.
We played it on the treadlies a few afternoons and it was really difficult to co-ordinate.
Motor bikes would have made it easier but jeez we got cranky and aggresive with it!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

firko

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 01:00:43 pm »
I'm rushing to get the Maico trials bike ready for CD5. Before I put it back together Ithought I'd show off the huge amount of chassis work the still unknown original owner put into the bike. Below is a comparo between the highly modded '73 Maico frame and a stocker.

The whole rear section and engine mounts have been fabricated from scratch and has some Husky GP influence.

Note the huge differences between the modded trials frame to the stocker. This guy knew his stuff.

The bike now has Works Performance shocks to replace the rooted Girlings, an original colour Maico silver/Yellow paint job and a fibreglass Maico coffin tank to replace the Honda Elsinore tank previously fitted to bring it back to looking more like a Maico. Other than those small aesthetic changes, I've left the bike totally as originally built in respect to the original constructors vision.
I can hardly wait to use it as my pitbike at CD5.