Author Topic: Yamaha DT1 with a 360 crank!!  (Read 1482 times)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
Yamaha DT1 with a 360 crank!!
« on: July 06, 2012, 08:00:58 pm »
Did see [can't find it now] someone writing about ending up with a 360 crank [was sold wrong one] for a DT2 or MX. Long story short--I have a DT1 [with DT1MX top end] that i'm running a 360 crank in. Parked it a while ago as goes so well i'm sure it's going to blow as needs rebore etc & in typical fashion i'm using all old bits [just to see if it'll work] then never finish it off. Also just to be different i've gone the other way with a 250 crank in a 360 motor. Will run one day but not sure how well!!, just have to get inspired. Little lathe wouldn't spin the cylinder so had to shorten the fins [in the cut off wheel] till it cleared lathe bed. Terrible story & hanging my head in shame---anyway, had to take 6mm of top & have the piston at bottom of ports at BDC, can't recall if i had to put a plate under the base. Had to add a base plate under the 250, 5mm because that's what i had. Squished pretty close & compression might be way to high as detonated on pump gas but nearly ok on av gas race gas. If extra stroke means more compression then it's too high as is using the DT1 kit head. Might find some pics sometime but need a "RAT BIKE" section to show any of my stuff. Thanks Morley [NZ].
ps, thinking back if i'd used a 6mm plate [or 5mm plate & gaskets] the ring peg just appeared & didn't use any gaskets just some [good] $2 shop goo. I was told you're mean't to halve the difference & step the piston up into head but [being lazy &/or impatient] i just though it's gotta work just not sure how well. Have a homemade underneath chamber on & it's in a road R5/DS7 frame for experimenting up the road [well, ran outa DT frames] Sorry--long story--long.

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha DT1 with a 360 crank!!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 10:08:27 pm »
By DT1 do you mean non reed cylinder . if you do then don't try to start it as the piston skirt will touch the crank . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha DT1 with a 360 crank!!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:39:22 am »
Hi, yes DT1 piston port cylinder, ring peg in middle of inlet port by memory. Doesn't hit the crank, think 214 rod which 250 & 360 both use. Got me thinking now i might be using a different length rod for the very reason you say [had an assortment of rods like later YZ to pick from]. In saying all that, there is a different gudgeon hight for the piston port & reed valve 250 pistons [DT1--to--DT2] but RT1--&--RT2 run same gudgeon hight [in piston]. Too many bangs on the head!! now i'm confusing myself. One more thingy, the DT1MX single ring piston is a bit shorter than std DT1 but can't remember if front & back or just inlet, if both sides it would help clear flywheels.
In one of my RT2's i'm running a YZ400 piston [1979 82mm--only year they did this & stretched the stroke] This piston works well & did it to someone elses & shortened the skirt as was close to wheels But--forgot to shorten mine--still going ok but now i'm worried. 2X5 piston kit by memory. Anyway---Cheers Morley.