Author Topic: Is this a good deal???  (Read 2814 times)

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a good deal???
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 11:20:20 pm »
Mate its not a bad deal. I think there was a really nice one of these for sale in stdney not too long ago for $4000. If so the $4000 would be a better buy, I have seen this guy advertise before, Just consider there may be some hidden costs. A mate of mine just got a bike from US. There was an extra fee of $250 or so for cleaning (Gerni). He paid the freight organiser this fee whom he met on U haul or E Haul. The organiser did not pay the freight company. This issue went on for approx 2 months. He was then told that to get the bike he would have to pay $250 for the cleaning to the freigth company. Then $50 per cubic meter per day for storage. It added up to a lot over two months. Lucky for him it was a bent Kawi 750 turbo. It had no panels and looked like shit. In the end he offered the freight co $500 cash. They made the business decision that this bike would not get that at an austion so they released the bike to him and we picked it up today. This bike was crashed back in the day with 99 kilometers on the clock and is one of the last few 750 turbo to be made.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:22:29 pm by oldyzman »
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 11:20:50 pm »
yes !! the tank alone is worth a quarter of the price on a good day  8)
also make sure its got one of these spark plug thingame jiggs,worth $170 on ebay  ;D

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=21629.0
Best is in the West !!

crankpin

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:09:00 am »

:o  :o  :o

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 07:24:53 am »
try Marks Vintage Swap meet .... forget ebay pricing, doer uppers like that tend to be $1000 bikes these days in the States. I put a 74 WR250 Husky together for less that $500 with good motor and fresh 2 pack painted frame.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:06:41 am »
Hi James

I can't speak with authority on the Husky's value but I can give you a bit go a heads up on some background on this project.

A thumbs up on Utah Vintage Motorcycles, About a year ago I bought an RM465Z from Gil Aranez from UVM and he delivered on everything he said he would. I purchased a bike from a 3rd party and he picked it up in Vegas and shipped it to me in Sydney. I even went as far as sending him the balance of the money to pay the seller on pick up and he was very honest and straight up.

As far as cost go Oldyzman is correct and then some, I was hit with quite a lot of unexpected freight handling and import costs which you will want to check if these are covered. UVM may pay the shipping costs (approx $400 US to get to sydney - They use Schumacher Logistics) but in turn they use a Freight and customs broker called Freightnet International and they hit me with a bundle of charges totalling $1448.88 (to be exact!), a breakdown is as follows;

Excluding gst!!

$65.00 - Delivery order fee
$184.08 - Destination port charges
$62.30 - Destination terminal handling charges
$135.00 - Customs clearance
$150.00 - Quarantine inspection fee
$129.00 - Quarantine Entry fee
$35.00 - Quarantine attendance fee
$175.00 - Quarantine steam cleaning
$45.00 - Destination cargo automation fee
$20.00 - Destination documentation fee
$10.00 - Destination security surcharge
$282.46 - GST on the bike
$70.00 - GST compile users fee????

So I would recommend you do some follow up as the costs can easily blow out

Cheers

Bitten
The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

Simo63

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 11:29:54 am »
Hi James

I can't speak with authority on the Husky's value but I can give you a bit go a heads up on some background on this project.

A thumbs up on Utah Vintage Motorcycles, About a year ago I bought an RM465Z from Gil Aranez from UVM and he delivered on everything he said he would. I purchased a bike from a 3rd party and he picked it up in Vegas and shipped it to me in Sydney. I even went as far as sending him the balance of the money to pay the seller on pick up and he was very honest and straight up.

As far as cost go Oldyzman is correct and then some, I was hit with quite a lot of unexpected freight handling and import costs which you will want to check if these are covered. UVM may pay the shipping costs (approx $400 US to get to sydney - They use Schumacher Logistics) but in turn they use a Freight and customs broker called Freightnet International and they hit me with a bundle of charges totalling $1448.88 (to be exact!), a breakdown is as follows;

Excluding gst!!

$65.00 - Delivery order fee
$184.08 - Destination port charges
$62.30 - Destination terminal handling charges
$135.00 - Customs clearance
$150.00 - Quarantine inspection fee
$129.00 - Quarantine Entry fee
$35.00 - Quarantine attendance fee
$175.00 - Quarantine steam cleaning
$45.00 - Destination cargo automation fee
$20.00 - Destination documentation fee
$10.00 - Destination security surcharge
$282.46 - GST on the bike
$70.00 - GST compile users fee????

So I would recommend you do some follow up as the costs can easily blow out

Cheers

Bitten

Ditto here.  Gil is a great guy and his bikes are as described ( my 89 Cr250 came through Gil acting as selling agent and it's as good as you could want ) but the local charges from Freightnet international left me with a large budget blow out on the deal.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 12:09:06 pm »
Get the bike less the cost of transport - then use your own freight company.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 05:49:42 pm »
Hi James, You'll occasionally see a guy advertise bikes on Aussie eBay called olddreamer13. This guys name is Darren Cheney, he is a really good guy and he is a Vintage Dirt Bike enthusiast like you and me who lives just outside of Melbourne. His work history is in freight forwarding. He hires his own containers about 6-8 a year and brings out to Australia from the US all sorts of toys for boys including but not limited to Motor Yachts, Harleys, Go Karts, Chevy Utes, Corvettes etc and his favorites, VMX bikes. He has a driver working almost full time for him in the US travelling around the country and picking up our toys with TLC, no meat head freight company casual staff involved, just one dedicated guy who looks after the stuff. The bikes do not have to be disassembled, he has a unique way of shipping them complete. How do I know this? He has brought out 3 bikes for me. One from the East Coast and two from the West Coast, a 79 Honda CR250, a 74 CZ 250 and a 78 Honda CR 250. He organised everything, had the bikes washed, dealt with customs, did all the paper work and charged me $1400 to get the East Coast bike to Melbourne and $900 each to get the other bikes from the West Coast to Melbourne. It cost us another $220 odd each to get the bikes to Sydney. The bikes all made it to us in perfect shape with no damage and the CZ even turned up with a spare rear guard given to the truck driver at the other end with the bike. Darren also has an amazing eye for detail, has studied these bikes for more than 15 years and can tell you whether that bike really is a good deal and what to look out for. He has looked after myself, my business partner and another Heaven member so well, we have become good friends and now help each other out. His business name is Firstmile Motorcycles and his number is 0488 188 827. 
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 06:03:33 pm »
Working in the shipping business I get pissed at all the extra costs, it is about $450USD in freight costs to ship a 20 foot sea container across the Pacific.

Theres a couple of Kiwi shipping companies that are sending cars/bikes back to NZ at 500-$600 landed range at the moment. So shop about for Aussies based in the USA doing the same consolidation of freight.
formerly Marc.com

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 07:13:16 pm »
Thanks for all the advice,I just bought 2 81 rm125s and a 83 locally so they will keep me busy for a while.$1448 blow out costs on a $1500-$2000 bike wouyld be hard for me to live with thats for sure.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 07:25:07 pm »
Thanks for all the advice,I just bought 2 81 rm125s and a 83 locally so they will keep me busy for a while.$1448 blow out costs on a $1500-$2000 bike wouyld be hard for me to live with thats for sure.

Great news..shop local for Christmas..go for it James Lee !!  8)  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 07:50:00 pm »
I told my wife I needed all 3 to build a nice bike for her,Ive been thrashing the 83 today and cant beleive how well it goes.I think it will be mine :D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 12:02:19 am »
Careful! Your wife may get an addication that can be expensive   ;D cheers a
Best is in the West !!