Author Topic: Clear coating pipes  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Clear coating pipes
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:35:31 am »
Hi,

This thread was posted a while ago but petered out so wanted to raise it again....

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=12449.0

I have a GMC pipe on an RM465 which looks great raw (To my taste anyway), at the moment I spend a bit off time smothering in in WD40 to keep the surface rust at bay bit I am not sure if this is going to be kept up for the long term.

Any suggestions on clear coating or otherwise to keep the raw look but keep the rust in check? has anyw-=one had success with another approach?

Cheers

The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

DP

Re: Clear coating pipes
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 12:58:50 pm »
Hi

I have clear coated a few pipes with 2 pack clear and it hangs on well but will still go yellowish over a period of time.

There use to be a clear primer but have not been able to buy that for a long time so now I grey scotch brite the pipe with prepsol first & I have had no trouble with 2 pack clear coming off or the pipes going rusty :)

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 03:10:34 pm »
HP coatings in unzud clear coat race headers for speedway cars ,bikes etc.Something will be available over there.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »
Any idea how expensive they are to do a pipe & contact details, both the CZ & YZ465 have non painted pipes.
I did clear coat the CZ 1 but it never got hot enough to fully cure before the Halcombe mudbath