Author Topic: spoke gauge question  (Read 1514 times)

Offline ty4

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
spoke gauge question
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:32:08 pm »
respoking a cr 80 rear wheel, shaft is 2.85 mm so 10 gauge??
 trouble is the 10 gauge roller is making the new thread to tight on the nipples,  so could it be 11 gauge??

any help would be great

tony

Swiss

Re: spoke gauge question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:44:34 pm »
Tony, last year I built up a custom wheel for my Honda using a new spoke set from an aftermarket shop.  I was curious so I asked if some spoke nipples from a Honda wheel would fit their spokes and they said NO!  I emailed Barnett and asked them about Spoke gauges and their reply was that they started building their wheels "before" standard spoke gauges were available and so ALL of their spokes are custom sized.  Same apparently goes for the rest of the wheel/spoke makers.  If there is a current Standard that everyone is using, many of them don't know about it!!!  Don't know what to tell you?  I can remember back in the early '80s when I was working at a Yamaha shop I cut some spokes for the owner of the local Kawasaki shop and they worked??  Keep searching, maybe someone has the answers?

Swiss

Offline ty4

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 05:00:58 pm »
thanks Swiss

it's frustrating as i have used these rollers on other Honda spokes before and worked a treat

tony

Offline Pete Hoey

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • hoey racing
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 01:08:42 pm »
10gauge is 3.2mm. most common thread is an impreial thread, they also use a metric thread on a lot of euro bikes and fine metric on modren CR/CRF's rear wheels.

MONTESA VR
CZ 380
RM125S
WTW