Author Topic: Fork oil quantity..  (Read 9518 times)

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Fork oil quantity..
« on: September 07, 2007, 06:52:27 PM »
Gudday all,
Anyone know what quantity/level of fork oil for the '83 40mm forks? Can't find the spec anywhere. Rob?  Found the change destructions and the recommended weights but not the amount. The best I could find was 450 to 470 mls, but that was for '88 forks which are a whole different ball game.
Thanks
FatBoy

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Fork oil quantity..
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 08:59:29 PM »
Fatboy

My 1983 owners manual says 430cc of 10 weight oil for a WR and 500cc for a CR/XC. Cheers Steve.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 09:08:47 PM »
Thanks Mate!
FatBoy

husky61

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 01:02:03 PM »
Shannon

500cc of twenty weight works a treat in the XC 500 . Not to plush and not to hard.

Rob

husky55

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 02:49:21 PM »
Hey There.
Give Stefan at R & D Husky a call. I'm sure he has a listing on oil quantities.

Cheers
Husky 55

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 04:50:01 PM »
Thanks Rob, I'll throw that combo in and see.

On another note, if you replace with good quality RK japanese twin lip seals is it really necessary to run two fork seals in each leg? Lots of "sticktion" with two... Anyone?

Oh ... more questions.. Is the single yellow wire on the 83 XC unregulated AC? i.e. single phase? If you add a regulator can you run lights on the unrectified AC ? Is this what the WR models do? My next door neighbour is a state forest, need I say more?

Over to you guys. ;-)

FatBoyCrash

YSS

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 05:48:02 PM »
Gudday all,
Anyone know what quantity/level of fork oil for the '83 40mm forks? Can't find the spec anywhere. Rob?  Found the change destructions and the recommended weights but not the amount. The best I could find was 450 to 470 mls, but that was for '88 forks which are a whole different ball game.
Thanks
FatBoy

Try airgap 105 mm  ( fork compressed  and bleed  , no spring )

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 08:24:14 PM »
Ahh... now your speaking my language! Air Gap, now that's something I understand.
FatBoy, showing his lack of age... ;-)

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 08:37:48 PM »
What is the easiest way to remove the seals from the 40mm forks?  I am having difficulty getting the outer wiper seals out and expect the inner seal to be even more tricky...I assume they are held in with a circlip?

Do you need to remove the tubes from the sliders or can you do it without dismantling the forks?

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 06:18:59 AM »
Which model of 40mm's do you have PEZ?
I can only talk about the ones I have experience with, the 1983 and 1988.
The early ones, e.g. 1983 have no circlip and yes you will need to dismantle. But it's a no brainer. Support the bike on a stand that raises the front wheel off the ground, put a container under the fork and crack the drain screw. You will need to undo the top air valve/nut to allow the oil to drain otherwise the airlock just keeps the oil in there. Leave it a little while. Do up the top fork nut/cap again so that the spring keeps pressure on the damper rod. Then calmly undo the bottom 13mm bolt on the bottom of the fork leg. Then the lower will slide straight off the fork leg. Make sense? My missus reckons I can't explain anything.. ;-)
Then find the biggest freaking screwdriver you have and prise the old crap seal out of the top of the fork lower. Sit down, put the lower between your legs, aim the business end away from you so you don't stab yourself in the head, jam the screwdriver under the old seal and lever away. Should pop out. Keep the old seal to help seat the new ones. Remember  to oil the new seals lightly before assembly.
From memory.. (You have been warned!) the 88's are very similar to dismantle but a little more complex with a proportioning valve in the lowers. Only one seal and held in place with a circlip. Remove that circlip with a small screwdriver by slowly "walking" it out around the circlip groove.
Hope that helps?
FatBoyCrash

husky61

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 09:36:47 AM »
Hey Shannon

Check your email.

We emailed the husqvarna factory ready reference charts , wiring diagram and competition prep. sheets for the 83 models.

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 03:54:32 PM »
Thanks Rob!
Got that. Much appreciated.
FatBoyCrash

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 06:53:55 PM »
Thanks for the description Fatboy. 

I have an 82 XC which I believe will be identical to the 83 model - minus the white paint job of course!

I was trying to hook out the top seal without dismantling the fork using a sharp hook but it wont budge.  I guess the damn things are in so tight that they dont budge even with no circlip  Looks like a fork dismantling I will go! 

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Fork oil quantity...seals
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 09:10:56 PM »
Forks dismantled now (piece of piss as per fatboys instructions.....Top was a bastard to get out (very big screwdriver needed!) but lower much easier) and now need to replace the seals and rebuild. 

What seals have people had good success with on 40mm husky forks i.e dont leak on first ride?  I had two different seals in there - a 7mm thick NAK seal on the bottom and a 9.5mm NOK on the top. No idea how long they had been in there but the oil was quite sludggy so guess it was a while. Parts manual says both seals are same part number so guess they're meant to be same size.  Thanks

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 09:59:38 PM »
Gudday again,
Yeah... the fork seals. Now this is my personal experience only (cover my arse clause  8) 8)). The original correct fork seal is a 10mm (10.5 or something if you include the seal lip) by 40mm internal diameter by outside diameter I can't remember...  ;D
You've got lots of options. Talk to Fernando at Husky parts and I'm sure he could hook you up with the right ones. http://www.huskyparts.com.au/
Search ebay for a mob called motorcycle parts worldwide who sell kazillions of fork seals (12000 plus!!). I've used them lots and they have never failed me.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Husqvarna-250XC-250-XC-1983-1984-models-Fork-Seals_W0QQitemZ280151882109QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29705QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

BK performance parts here in Brisvegas hooked me up with some for 20 bucks a pair. http://www.bkperformance.com.au/index.php

Or go on down to your local bearing shop and take the old ones with you. Bearing service center here in Brisvegas are allways right on the money. From memory my last set of steering head bearings (tapered) cost me 18 dollars for the pair. Try that on in your local bike shop! BSC could find me some great dual lipped seals for the 40mm forks but they were only 7mm tall. I really don't think they would make much of a difference in the 40mm forks  that need two seals stacked together but haven't tried them yet. In the forks that have a circlip holding the seals in place (and forks together!) you'd have to use the original dimension 10mm (10.5 with lip) seal. The nice thing about the BSC 7mm seals was that they were only $3.50 each..... :) :) :)