Author Topic: YZ 125 D Clutch  (Read 920 times)

Offline philthy

• Novice
    • View Profile
YZ 125 D Clutch
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:42:32 PM »
Can anyone tell me if the standard clutch pull on a yz125d is unusually heavy.The clutch on mine is terrible,I have bought new original clutch springs in case the ones in the bike weren't original,but made no difference.The clutch cable is a brand new and routed correctly,and nothing seems to be binding in the clutch mechanism.Any clues on how to make it more user friendly would be appreciated as it is the only thing that is letting a great little bike down
yz125d yz250g yz250f it250j rm125b rm125a

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: YZ 125 D Clutch
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
Should have a nice, light pull. [that's what she said]

Check that the clutch push rod (through the centre of the gearbox input shaft) is set up right. There's a rod, a loose ball bearing, and then the rod that's effectively part of the clutch cover. They should all be a loose, sliding fit in the shaft.
The wrong length rod(s), or missing ball-bearing will have the rod pushing on the wrong part of the ramp, and this can cause a very heavy clutch.
Also check that all of the spacers around the clutch basket are right, because they can cause this sort of hassle too.

Does the lever snap back away from the bars if you let go of it suddenly?

Make sure you've got the right lever . Yamaha levers obviously work very well, but some of the older aftermarket levers have whacko leverage ratios.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
Re: YZ 125 D Clutch
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:51:18 PM »
if the bearing is dodgy on the arm going into box
it can bind a bit under load as well ;)
follow me to first turn