Author Topic: Why? Please tell me why?  (Read 3150 times)

mx250

Re: Why? Please tell me why?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 01:37:33 pm »
If you work out how often you use your brakes, three in a trillion is gonna take a long time before it puts you under a bus.
More importantly, cable brakes fail far more often than that...

Yeah, but electronic can fail at any time. With electronics a 1 in million chance can happen at the first application or the millionth application. Things mechanical will fail but the failure will be through deterioration which it traceable and predictable.  ;).

To answer Tim's original question, why? - because they can......and because wankers will pay silly money for the 'latest and greatest' as a display of wealth as much as any other reason ::)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 01:45:23 pm »
Still seems like fly by wire throttles have been accepted in the road bike world so why not apply the technology to brakes.... all you need is a battery strapped to the forks and you are away.... so what happens when the battery runs down ???
formerly Marc.com

Taka 100

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 02:01:10 pm »
i'll take me chances on a cable thanks , no wonder this guy looks happy every one will   "have to have one"  and he probably got a grant to develop it in the first place,another trillionaire coming up , and his lawyers will sue the arse off anyone who tries anything like it , this world is getting more screwed up by the second , give him a shovel and a pile of s'#t the size of a bus and see how he goes see if he's smiling after that

sorry i forgot to add that he hadn't though of one thing that for vintage mx bike front and back simutaneous brake application you could probably had a control inserted in the sphincter region for time when you really need brakes... whoooooooooooooahhhhhhhhhhh....bang
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:07:43 pm by Taka 100 »

TooFastTim

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 02:18:57 pm »
Still seems like fly by wire throttles have been accepted in the road bike world so why not apply the technology to brakes.... all you need is a battery strapped to the forks and you are away.... so what happens when the battery runs down ???

Yes but with redundancy.

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »
I repair auto electronics (including Fly by wire), for a living , do I trust electronics ? HELL NO!!!!
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 05:08:06 pm »
Yes but with redundancy.

Yeah i was wondering when the battery goes flat what is the brakes default position, locked full on or full off, either could be quite entertaining.

I am sure with dirt bikes the 'electronic aids' will start to creep in, we already have various power settings and launch control coming out on dirt bikes. Anti wheelie, traction control, data loggers, it will come. I mean if you wanted to get the young guys flat out buying bugger the performance aids..... fit next years YZ with MP3 player
formerly Marc.com

TooFastTim

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 05:13:58 pm »
P3 players are sooo last year Marc. Kids will want a YZ450F with built in PSP now.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 05:23:08 pm »
Wrong, iPad in place of handlebars ::)

TooFastTim

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 06:31:05 pm »
Silly me  ;D