Author Topic: weird running  (Read 2959 times)

Offline stump magnet

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
weird running
« on: September 05, 2011, 06:49:23 am »
right try to solve this one chaps, the 250 twinport is running a gerrard copping electronic ignition, dellorto carb and gmc pipes and up till three meetings ago ran perfect then at the next meeting it would start to cut out when flat out in 3rd and then 4th gear just at the top of the rev range as though the kill button was being pressed or fuel starvation. stripped carb checked float height etc all fine, plug was a bit lean as very hot day so upped the jetting still no joy, maybe crankshaft seal leaking so replaced that and checked and replaced base gasket and any other obvious air leaks seems to rev out perfect on the stand and when flat out in 1st then into 2nd gear but as soon as you click into 3rd and approach the top of the rev range it just goes buurrrrrrrr so grab 4th and same again pulls hard till top of rev range and buurrrrrrrr.
so any ideas PLEASE? thinking maybe the coil is breaking down at prolonged revs but not sure as have no experience of coils doing this (is it posible for the coil to play up in the two higher gears only?) pretty much covered every thing i can think of other than a crankcase air leak that i cant find though would have thought the bike would run on and generally run crap regardless of gear or revs as have had plenty of experience of air leaks over the years.
please some one give me a clue as im totaly stumped and pulling me hair (wots left) out cheers

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: weird running
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:38:24 am »
first you need to see if its starving fuel.get the bike doing what it dose in 3rd and roll the throttle off slowly throttle on if it runs then mucks up you are starving it of fuel.need to check taps and gas cap
jim

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:43:50 am »
hot day and going up a jet is a clue ;)
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:10:07 am »
It's running out of fuel for sure; if fuel pours out of the tap, and you are SURE you have set the float height correctly, then I'd say a build up of crap where the fuel goes into the carb; maybe take out the needle and seat and blow up with compressed air.

Most times this has happened for me it was too low a float level (I've been a shop motorcycle mechanic for 35 years :-) )
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 08:22:48 pm »
It gets weirder Stump
Mate and I were out riding on our 86 WR240's yesterday and both came up with that same problem.
Definately fuel starvation with us .
Mate has the old style tap and I have the new version , both carbs look ok .
Trick is that these huskys vibrate a bit and I am wondering if this is a factor.

We are not alone with this.
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=20571.msg204505#msg204505
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline stump magnet

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 09:51:02 pm »
the original fuel cap has tiny 2mm vent hole so some credence there, other twinports i have seen have extra vent screwed into top of tank with rubber hose, so going to do the same, but why has it started doing it now when ok before?
fuel starvation sounds the most probable cause though.
have run a small inline filter for ages so as i said weird!!

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 05:12:46 am »
If the fuel cap is anything like the later bikes internally there is a plate with 2 small holes through it, over time they rust closed if both are even brokeb through in the first place. My 380 did that at it's first meeting last year although it completely stopped each time, pulling apart the cap & opening up the holes fixed it

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:34:09 pm »
You're probably going to howl me down for this and say it was the first thing you did but it has all the symptoms (amongst a lot of others of course) of a spark plug breaking down.

Offline stump magnet

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 05:31:29 am »
HOWL!  ;D yup tried several, havnt had a chance to try bike yet as a lug has broke out of the fibreglass tank so am fitting a new alloy twinport tank by terry weedy with twin taps and a monza style fuel cap so that should eliminate the fuel supply problem i hope, have completely stripped dellorto and checked every thing with a magnifying glass and all good, have set float height to 18mm as per manual, current jetting is 45 pilot and 165 main with needle in centre clip, #50 slide so if anything it runs a bit rich as previous jetting was 40 pilot and 160 main with a nice brown plug.
off on holiday now for two weeks so will try bike upon return and report back, but confident that tank will help if not god knows!!