Author Topic: Broadford vintage track update  (Read 1480 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Broadford vintage track update
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:50:50 pm »
Hey Guy's,

Just thought I'd give ya's a bit of an update on the new Vintage / Natural Terrain MX track at Broadford.  A few vintage riders have ridden it and they seem to like it.  Dust will be a problem during Summer; we should be able to water the flatter area's near the pits quite easiliy; so we'll see  :-)  If this track gets the support and a following, I'm sure MV will be forced to locate some water sprinklers.

I just received a couple of K's of Yamaha barrier tape, to go around the circuit, today; Rosebud club has a hare & hound there this weekend using part of the track so I'll string up the tape next week.

I've picked up a few van loads of car tyres that I've painted white and placed around the track; it looks like a race track now :-)

Weekend just gone I rode the track in reverse; was even better!  I'll build a couple of jumps that work from either direction; if we want to swap directions from time to time.

I'll get Johnny Coleman to grade the track this week (I'll bribe him with a carton of his poison) and I'll post some pics soon.

We only want to use this track once every one or two months so we can get the grass growing; every time we ride on it I hope the track to be all grass.

Stay tuned old farts.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Broadford vintage track update
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:27:57 pm »
Keep up the good work John!

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 10:13:33 pm »
Hear hear.

Tex

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 04:12:54 pm »
Well Johnny Coleman graded the track today, just had a shower of rain after it; tomorrow the track is going to be smooth, loam city!  I call a "working bee" tomorrow morning (to clean a few rocks from one corner) then ride in the arvo.  Who's up for it?

Some guys from Rosebud Club will be there marking out a Hare n Hound tomorrow that will use part of the track; I don't see us 'test riding' the track in the arvo being a problem  :-)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 04:15:27 pm »
And no rain forecast for tomorrow, just 21 and partly cloudy ................ BRING IT ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :-D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 05:17:00 pm »
Congratulations on the big effort John. I know it's early days but will this track be a part of the HBBB program next Easter?
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 05:30:50 pm »
Yeh it is early days but I hope it to be used at the Bonanza, with so many tree's, I think that it won't have a very big 'track limit', maybe 20?  I expect it will get used but in conjunction with the main MX track.

Watering the track will be an issue; not enough time or money to get any sprinklers fitted; could use a 'water truck' on part of it (like the old days), which I plan to do in the interim.

Maybe as I am trying to keep this track VERY smooth, it could be used by pre '75 and earlier maybe?

I am currently working on tables & benches, and grass, in the tree'd section of the 'paddock', which will be great for bbq's on Summer days.

Everything is still up in the air at the moment, once you the riders give your preference, I guess the decisions will be set in concrete?