Author Topic: Honda 84 Cr500 starting  (Read 3178 times)

Barney

Honda 84 Cr500 starting
« on: October 24, 2011, 04:15:37 pm »
Hi all,

My son has recently purchased an 84 CR500 from the states which has had new top end and arrived without any oil or fuel which I presume is a standard shipping practice. Bike is in good condition and appears to have done not too many hours and has had a tidy up by the seller (through EBay) reconditions bikes and has a good rep. We did oils and fuel and tried to start it over the weekend - got it to kick once or twice but wouldn't run - tried to roll start (in 5th) but just locked the back wheel up with the compression - any ideas or suggestions to how to start these big beasts a bit easier?

We have to rebuild the front caliper as the pad retention bolt stripped the head as we went to remove it to replace the pads so we have a bit of time to work on the starting format before using it.

Any suggestions welcome.
Barney

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Honda 84 Cr500 starting
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 04:24:36 pm »
Does the beast have good , strong spark?

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 05:08:44 pm »

They can be difficult. If it has ggod spark then lay it over on the left side (not on the ground but over a fair way) until the fuel dribbles out.  stick it 2nd and rock it back and forwards a little.  If your short legged get on a stand or something so you have some leverage.  get it on compression and kick purposefully!  If that doesn't work - repeat.  If that doesn't work pour fuel down the plug hole !  If that doesn't work pour fuel over the bike and stand back.

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 06:39:52 pm »
check the reeds and then pull the carby apart and give it a good clean and flush it out...
i was talkin to bloke down at canowindra who imported the same bike from the states
and his had an air filter skin sucked through into the bottomend... :o

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 06:42:30 pm »
check out livewire VMX website in Kiwi land - there is a guy who has actually uploaded a video with a nice little trick to help with starting these big bore beasts - it may help - it may just be a starting problem (as they are difficult) or further problems.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:16:40 pm »
ha ha should have bought a kx500 ;D
cr500 are a bitch to start even when right unless you
modify cylinder for decompression
just do what everyone has said clean carb new plug
leave out in the sun for an hour (must be hot day) ;D
kick over till just past tdc then a full kick like you are going to steal it
should go (dont flood it) ;)
follow me to first turn

Barney

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 07:01:33 am »
Thanks guys i will test all options and let you know which works best - the bike must be female so we just have to learn how to handle her for her to start!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 10:26:20 am »
I'm also looking to get a 84 CR500 from the states.  Any pictures of it?  Who did you use to import it, how were they and how much did it cost all up?  Cheers
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:37:06 am by bishboy »

Barney

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 12:38:52 pm »
Bishboy,
He bought it over EBay - had it transported to Seattle by road from the seller - it was collected and crated by Dead Dog racing Brisbane and imported through them for $1000 approx (was a competitive price and they bring containers about every six to eight weeks max) - we drove to brisbane from Newcastle to collect - only damage was a broken front brake lever which was done in the road transport from the seller as he left the bars extended out of his crate.

I will find some pictures to send - overall I think he paid $2K for bike, $400 road transport and $1K sea freight, customs and clearance about $A3400 overall - bike is say 85% ready to race - we just will pull things apart to check before trusting.

Hope to have some pics by end of week.

Barney

Barney

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 10:55:05 am »
Thanks for the tips - new plug and a good boot has managed to get it fired and running - will need to see how temperamental the beast is once we get her running properly after checking her over.

Barney

STW996

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 11:15:27 am »
Barney, For what it is worth I have one of these bikes. Those who know me are aware I am vertically challenged and have no problem starting my bike even after sitting for 3 months.

I have had my barrel modified as Holeshot has noted and this works a treat.

That said,

Cold start,
No hand on throttle (not at all)
Choke on
Get on top dead and good strong kick through

Hot start (like if on track and stalled it)

Full throttle and good strong kick through

From what I have been told arund 3400 delivered is now the price for good but un-restored bikes

Shane
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:18:23 am by STW996 »