Author Topic: YAMAHA YZ250J Rims??  (Read 958 times)

abwr360

YAMAHA YZ250J Rims??
« on: August 28, 2011, 03:14:55 pm »
Hi All,

I need to rebuild my wheels.Original gold DID rims.Front one has usual crack, back one barely ok.I hear Graham Dawe or Light foot engineering [Melbourne]are both good ?????May have to replace both with aftermarket rims.What is a better match, color wise ,smpro or excel?Sm pro looks closer to original.Do you think Im wasting my time to try and repair and reanodise my originals?Any help about spokes and such and where to purchase really appreciated.

Thanks !!

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: YAMAHA YZ250J Rims??
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 04:23:17 pm »
are you going to race/ride it?

i had a YZ250 J back in the day and it had a cracked front did , i got it welded and it cracked again. i would get rid of the DID's as they are known to crack. imagine coming off a jump to have the wheel collapse on you.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 06:52:27 pm »
I'm going down the same path atm with a set of gold Honda rims, but I think it's going to be cheaper to by these, colours pretty good and saves alot of dramas with welding and anodising.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320749344725

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 07:33:03 pm »
F$&king DIDs...

I've got a gold coloured Excel for my CR and it's way too orange. Dunno if there's a yellow-er version.

Has anyone seen a cracked rim cause a wheel to collapse? The tyre and spokes should hold it together, at least long enough to get back to the pits. I have seen two paddock bikes do a lot of kays with rims that are cracked right through.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 07:44:20 pm »
When they anodise the rims Nathan, every batch can end up a different shade....very frustating even for the wheel builders, some colors look even worse.....blue....gold....red....I think thats why most end up with "safe silver".
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.