Author Topic: setting carb float height  (Read 1051 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
setting carb float height
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:59:25 pm »
I have an issue with a bike bogging/hesitating over jumps, which I put down to float set to low, question is how do you accurately determine fuel height in the bowl, if it's all bolted together?
or do you just bend the float tab until it stops bogging, and hope it doesn't flood/overflow.
Must be a more accurate way of setting it right.

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: setting carb float height
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 07:07:57 pm »
I remember when I bought a second hand TM125 many years ago and it did the same thing when going over jumps. After mucking around trying different things, I eventually found the little round retaining plate that is supposed to sit over the needle in the carby slide was put in under the needle clip. So every time the bike went up over a jump, the needle would go higher, in effect flooding the carb for a few seconds.

Float heights are common specs in all manuals, know how to set and adjust and you cant go wrong.

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:28:29 pm »

The best way is to take it out take the float bowl of and turn it

upside down then measure the float hight to the manafacturers

settings from the carb body to the float arms then adjust the needle

vang untill you have its usualy 21mm to 23 mm on yammys.

Poppy..

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:38:29 pm »
I saw a great setup once where someone modified a drain plug to have a clear tube coming from it, ran it up the side of the carb, filled the carby with fuel and whall-a... you can clearly see what height the fuel goes up to.

I guess a little similar to a standpipe on a hot water system or a hydraulic reservior on an aircraft... (I see that every day..  :) )

Maybe try that?