Author Topic: bing carby on a mx 250  (Read 5582 times)

Offline nick840

• Novice
    • View Profile
bing carby on a mx 250
« on: July 26, 2011, 03:54:58 pm »
other than the wheels my 84 ktm 250 is ready to rock but damn its hard work to get it started

only way she will fire up is pouring fuel down the barrel

it has what i believe is called a tickler and i press that until it comes out the overflow but wont fire

any input appreciated

also after many hours of scrubbing sanding polishing am still disappointed with yellowish fuel tank

everything else has come up tiptop but the tank catches the eye

i would like a new one but are having no luck

cheers nick

ktm mx250 84 finished finally now time to ride

Offline kenny5000

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: bing carby on a mx 250
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:39:32 pm »
Hey mate here is a NOS tank but its crazy expensive!! He had a new one for my 78 ktm at the same price but I went for a second hand one at 1/3 of the cost from him. All depends on how much you want to spend!!

http://www.sdi-ktm.ch/katalog_detail.php?auswahl=13&idp=16

Offline nick840

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:22:10 pm »
Hey mate here is a NOS tank but its crazy expensive!! He had a new one for my 78 ktm at the same price but I went for a second hand one at 1/3 of the cost from him. All depends on how much you want to spend!!

http://www.sdi-ktm.ch/katalog_detail.php?auswahl=13&idp=16

thanks for that kenny

does that work out at $680  :o lucky i have 2 kidneys

Offline kenny5000

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:09:14 pm »
Hey mate, think it may be a little more than that!! He also charged 80 euro for shipping. Mine was $380 AUD in the end shipped. Was happy with that as I didnt have one nor did any one world wide except for him. Send him an email, he may have a good second hand one, he sent me photos prior to purchase.

Cheers

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:53:56 pm »
Im sure you have checked the pilot jet
Make sure that the slide goes all the way to the bottom.
My 81 250 is a bitch to start when cold because I had to cut the slide so much to get it to run snappy on the roll on.
Your 84 has a reed valve thou and shouldnt need to be as crisp.
How I start my 81. Tickle until fuel pours everywhere , kick 5 times , tickle again , repeat . when it fires leave alone till it stops, repeat again a few times, then she is warm and will start first kick.   
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:19:31 pm »
Nick, about the only thing that will bring the tank back to white is a sticker kit.
It's years of fuel/oil mixture permeating from inside the tank outwards, so the discolouring is the entire thickness of the plastics, not just an outside layer.

Offline nick840

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 12:44:00 pm »
Im sure you have checked the pilot jet
Make sure that the slide goes all the way to the bottom.
My 81 250 is a bitch to start when cold because I had to cut the slide so much to get it to run snappy on the roll on.
Your 84 has a reed valve thou and shouldnt need to be as crisp.
How I start my 81. Tickle until fuel pours everywhere , kick 5 times , tickle again , repeat . when it fires leave alone till it stops, repeat again a few times, then she is warm and will start first kick.   

thanks slakewell i will give that a shot

i figured the tickler was not working but seems the same as yours

Offline nick840

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 12:50:23 pm »
Nick, about the only thing that will bring the tank back to white is a sticker kit.
It's years of fuel/oil mixture permeating from inside the tank outwards, so the discolouring is the entire thickness of the plastics, not just an outside layer.

handnt considered stickering it up good call evo thanks

i know the ktm logo i purchased for the tank was a specially made decal with holes to stop it been affected by the fuel in the tank

is there a product available for this? anyone tried it out?

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 04:48:33 pm »
Oh just in case you need to check the air screw is right about 2 turns out , Plus if it's an enduro model it may have a hole in the slide were the choke was.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline nick840

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 07:57:59 pm »
Oh just in case you need to check the air screw is right about 2 turns out , Plus if it's an enduro model it may have a hole in the slide were the choke was.

good info i will check the air screw

have to wait until i get my wheels as i busted the work stand starting the bike

bench is now held together by cable ties ???

cant justify spending the coin for a new tank doesnt look to bad

mainline

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 09:39:11 pm »
tank looks bloody good to me ;D

I recently cut an old split YZ tank apart and as evo550 has said, the discolouration is all the way through. Not much you can do about it. I soaked a tank in bleach for a month and it was still stained.

As far as the stickers go, I sealed my tank with a product called Blue lightning which seemed to do the trick. Alternatively, there's this idea, which I'll be trying next time http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=19776.0

Offline ozktm151

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 09:53:04 pm »
Nick,
I have an 85 250 which has a choke on the Bing. Due to the gearing of the kickstarter it is a little difficult to start. It starts with the choke on so that suggests that it needs plenty of fuel in the crankcase to fire up. I have a number of tickler Bings on my older bikes and have been basically doing the same routine for a fairly long time. Tickle the Bing until the petrol overflows. When this happens open the trottle to lift the slide. This should allow fuel into the crankcase. Close slide and kick. Should work if everything else is in order.

Good luck!
Bill

Offline nick840

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 02:21:19 pm »
Nick,
I have an 85 250 which has a choke on the Bing. Due to the gearing of the kickstarter it is a little difficult to start. It starts with the choke on so that suggests that it needs plenty of fuel in the crankcase to fire up. I have a number of tickler Bings on my older bikes and have been basically doing the same routine for a fairly long time. Tickle the Bing until the petrol overflows. When this happens open the trottle to lift the slide. This should allow fuel into the crankcase. Close slide and kick. Should work if everything else is in order.

Good luck!
Bill

thanks bill i will try that as well :)

Offline Big John

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 07:49:06 pm »
I had a 84 250gs, the only way I could get it started, was to hold the tickler down till the fuel flowed out for a few seconds, then it fired up ok. It was an awsome bike I wish I still had it.

Offline jurado

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 10:50:20 pm »
Here is a trick that helps starting up these old beauties when cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvuFlYM--E4

Alternatively, what I also do is:

- open choke
- give 4-6 kicks, slow one, not producing spark, but sufficient to get mixture to the crank and cylinder
- then kick almightily.