Author Topic: Anyone know anything about stator resistance readings?,85 kx500....  (Read 945 times)

rumpelstiltskin

Posted before about my 85 kx500 not starting and i want some help with the resistance readings i got between the wires.The reading between one pair of the wires,the red one and the black and yellow one was out of spec according to the service manual,but is it enough to cause what i think is a weak spark while the plug is 'in' the head?(strong spark out of head),reading should be between 14.1 and 21.4,mines read 25?Would this be enough to cause a problem while the sparks under compression? Thanks!

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know anything about stator resistance readings?,85 kx500....
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:11:01 am »
In my experience, stator resistance readings don't really offer much help to the actual condition of the stator unless you get a reading showing a dead short or open circuit.
Most of the faulty windings I have come across have a normal resistance reading but break down under (electrical) load. The best thing to do is take it to someone that can test it properly like small coil rewinds or swap it for another one.
My dad used to fix electronic ignitions for a living and he used to say that when you get to the point of checking stators or cdi's on jap bikes, 9 times out of 10 it won't be the problem....it will be something else you have missed
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know anything about stator resistance readings?,85 kx500....
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 11:39:45 am »
You need to see if the spark can jump a 5-6mm air gap. Mike 52 showed a cheap and cheerful ignition dyno he made for dynamicaly testing ignitions.
Jesus only loves two strokes