Author Topic: Fiberglass tank repairs.  (Read 1796 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Fiberglass tank repairs.
« on: April 28, 2008, 08:05:07 pm »
O.K. this is my first, fiberglass repair so my knowledge bank is hovering around zero on this topic.
The tank I have appears to have alot of "weeping"  through the glass and I am assuming the best way to get rid of this is to seal it internally. Here is where I need all the help I can get.
The tank has been out of use for many years and alot of stale fuel and oil appears to have penertrated into the glass over the years.

Is there a way to clean it inside to ensure any sealant will stick? Is there any prefered product to use as a liner? I have some kreem, but it doesn't make any mention of fiberglass and assume it can only be used on steel tanks.

What's the go?
Thanks in advance

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Fiberglass tank repairs.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 08:46:20 pm »
a liner that will work and is approved for use in fibreglass tanks is called Red, White & blue tank liner kit. its made in Tasmania. its an excellent product and i highly recommend it and sell it on a regular basis. the distributor is Ficeda Accessories so drop into your local bike shop and ask them if they can get you some.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 08:52:43 pm »
when glass gets porosity its prettywell stuffed but can be bought back  by doing the outside of the tank as it has to be 100% clean and oil free or the resin will not set.

rub the outside to a nice  finish, not too smooth, then you can spray  catalyzed resin on it and then  cook it and then rub it again to remove the waxy finish and then spray with gelcoat or Duco.

probably easier to put that liner on the inside and save a lot of hard work rubbing

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:13:07 pm »
yes the liner i mentioned is for inside of tank. its a 2 part epoxy liner. its a big seller with Ducati shops as the old fibre glass Ducati tanks dont like the new fuels we have today. new modern fibre glass tanks dont need a liner but old fibre glass tanks need them.

i also highly recommend this tank liner for metal tanks in need of a liner. once you have used this liner you wont ever use another brand.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:16:43 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 03:30:36 pm »
Thanks guys,

Does the red, white and blue come with a cleaning soloution?
If not, is there anything good to use that won't affect the fiberglass ?

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 04:23:56 pm »
Acetone is about the best cleaner for  fibreglass evo. I would probably use a slightly caustic  solution  of warm soapy water  then flush with lots of water and finish off with a rinse of Acetone and let it sit in a nice warm spot to dry out .

Offline 270YAM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 01:20:34 am »
Here is some photos of the damage on my EML tank.  I think it had been crashed and the handlebar has bent in and damaged the tank. Looks like it has been bogged up and painted, and the fuel has started to soak into the fiberglass. If I seal up the inside of the tank and repaint the outside, will the 'rotten' glass destroy the new paint?
How do I get around this problem?
Cheers  ;D

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:06:34 pm by 270YAM »