Author Topic: The Best 125 - Opinions  (Read 2738 times)

mx250

The Best 125 - Opinions
« on: February 20, 2008, 08:34:41 pm »
Okay, lets get this straight, this is NOT a Troll  ::)

I'm trying to encourage my 24yo son to do some VMX, probably starting with Dirt Track. Although he's pretty solid, around the 1.7m and 90kg, I thought the 125 class would be a good starting point. He hasn't done mx before although he is a competant trail rider and street rider.

So, when it cames to undemanding maintenance, reliable and competitive 125 MX'er what does the Brains Trust recommend - probable a range of choice. I'm thinking long travel era to ease him in  ;).

Rosco400

Re: The Best 125 - Opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:57:38 pm »
1.7 m & 90 kg, he'll kill it in no time on dirt track, if hes riding trail, get him on a 250, wont have to work it as hard

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:12:26 pm »
Pre 78 = 77 Suzuki or Yamaha (in that order), and forget the rest unless you want to go hardcore on aftermarket bits.... The Suzuki apparently handles better, while the Yamaha goes better.
 I can tell you that finding parts is no drama for the YZ-D (many interchangeable parts with E & F models along with ITs and DTs. 125E pipe helps, but I wouldn't describe it as as a must-do mod.

Evo = ??? Nobody seems to talk much about 'em, but I think it comes back to the 1980 YZ or RM (again). Be interested to hear other opinions on this.

Pre-85 = Honda or Kawasaki. I think the KX was the faster race bike, but if my experience in getting KDX parts is anything to go by, get the Honda.
Not Yamaha, 'cause the motor is a slug (relatively speaking).
Probably not Suzuki 'cause they forgot how to make decent MX motors in the mid-80s.
Definitely not the Husky (although Fernando's young fella is damn quick on his...).
The 84 KTMs break the front part of the engine off, but are supposed to be rocketships when they go (Dennis, hurry up and finsih yours so I can have a ride!).

And ignore Rosco... ;D If he's a racing newbie, he'll be better off on a little bike (for the short~medium term at least).

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:46:41 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:37:20 pm »
In pre 75 there's nothing in the same league as a Honda CR125 Elsinore in dirt track. That's not picking favourites, it's the plain hard facts after 20 years of watching and (competing early on) in the class. In pre 78 and Evo, the RM Suzuki and possibly the YZ Yam are the pick of the bunch.
I wouldn't have a clue in pre 85 as it's way out of my attention limits.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:46:46 pm »
The '80 Honda CR125RA is the best 125 Evo class bike , but they are very hard to find as there wasn't many sold in Australia .They have a lot of grunt for a 125 & the one I have ridden hauled my fat 100kg arse around without too much struggle . The KX125A5 & RM125T are the next best , but the KX's are also scarce . For pre '75 class , the 125 Elsinore is head & shoulders above everything else . The RM125B is the best pre'78 class 125 .

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 11:57:37 pm »
Quote from: Colin MacKellar's Yamaha Dirtbikes
The YZ125G surprised everyone by its excellence. .... Everything else functioned extremely well and although not the fastest 125 available (the Honda was), it did have the most usable power.
Shaving 3mm off the [carby] dowel pin support fixed the problem and salvaged the YZs reputation as the best 125 available in 1980.

Same book says:
74 = CR (or maybe KX).
75 = YZ-C.
76 = YZ-X or RM.
77 = RM, YZ and Husky(!?).
78 = RM or KX.
79 = RM or KX.
80 = YZ.
81 = RM.
82 = Anything but the Yamaha.
83 = KX or CR.
84 = Anything but the Yamaha.

I know it's only one source, but it all fits with what I've read/seen/heard/felt elsewhere.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:08:21 am by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 03:52:37 pm »
I'm with you Nathan, I think you have it about right(except maybe the '82 YZ  ;) ). All the tests/shootouts and talking to people basically say the same. But any 125cc will do the job if you are a compotent rider.
The best advice to give him is let him pick the bike that he likes the most, wether it be on colour, looks, brand or what ever and since he likes its he will enjoy it that much more.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline maicoman18

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 04:41:21 pm »
I suppose I have gotten it wrong as usual, but I thought you wanted to ease the young fella (24yo ?) into the sport? The best bike for that purpose would be something easy to ride until he has the confidence to step up to something better. The last thing I would want to learn on would be an Elsinore or YZ (talking pre '75). Both of those and most of the 125's, you need a degree in tap dancing to operate the gear level to keep it on the boil. To someone new, constantly loading up the engine from not being in the right gear would drive me away pretty quick.
What about a nice MX250 yammy or something similar until he has the need to go quicker

Just my thoughts
Ed

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 05:22:35 pm »
74 Cr 125 in a Hagon , Elstar or similar slider frame.  Tiny bit of learning on the "for purpose" machine  but watch the race face smiles after that.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Tony T

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 06:36:11 pm »
When I saw your name in this thread Tim, I was expecting you to suggest an SL125.  :D