Author Topic: gear lever won't move  (Read 2249 times)

Offline maxi81

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
gear lever won't move
« on: July 16, 2011, 03:02:57 pm »
I had my RM 400 engine rebuilt not along ago. According to my mate who put it back together it shifted through all the gears when he put it back together. I bought a gear lever for it and it doesn't want to go through the gears at all. The bike is in gear atm just not sure which one. Any feedback would be great.

Max

oldfart

Re: gear lever won't move
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 03:27:16 pm »
Take your clutch cover off to see if he has put the  Pawls in wrong way round or is the shaft  missing the stopper on end of selector shaft  ( clutch side )
In other words when you put your new gear lever on did the selector shaft move inwards by 5 to 10 mm. 

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:47:47 pm »
I reckon your on the Money Oldfart, had a similar thing happen to me once, it moved out of mesh and then jammed.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 07:08:35 pm »
Another thing to remember is the detent ball and spring are located in the sump plug.
It might pay to check to see if they are located where they should be.
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Offline maxi81

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 01:33:03 pm »
Thanks guys. Took the clutch cover off and found the shaft has moved across and was not lining up. I can now change gears but lever doesn't spring back after I have changed gears. Any idea on that??

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 03:37:34 pm »
First up up need to know why your gear shaft moved sideways for it to disengage from the toothed segment on the selector drum. Normally the end of the selector shaft butts up against a cast in stop in the clutch cover, if this is not happening you have the wrong selector shaft.

Secondly, the selector shaft has a double-acting return spring located behind the toothed segment of the selector shaft, this spring has two legs, each leg must go either side of the pin (approx 8mm dia) that's screwed onto the r/h case. You need to ensure you spread the spring legs apart as you push the selector shaft back in to it's home position or the shaft will not return to the central position when pushed down or pulled up.

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 04:42:23 pm »
You should have 14mm of past the toothed flat spot ( stopper )  early models came with a nylon stop that pressed on
If the spring is installed correctly you may have a bent shaft.

Offline maxi81

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:42:38 pm »
I'm still having issues with my gear shift shaft. I now know the shaft moved across because I was missing a few screws from the bottom of the clutch cover and when I put the new gear lever on I gave it a few taps with a hammer and it moved acoss from where it sits. I pushed it back in place but it seems out of sync. Its in neutral and I can't put it into first as the toothed bit is hitting th case. Any ideas??

Max

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 06:00:50 pm »
Try a bigger Hammer, just kidding...
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 06:02:52 pm »
The teeth on the end of the shift shaft are not meshed centrally with the ones on the shift drum. Push the shaft thru again and line it up properly

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 10:16:39 pm »
little tip for ya maxi,(obviously you don't know about it ;))tap a screwdriver into the gearlever slot,(& leave it there),just enough to spread it,makes it ever so easy to place in position on the shift shaft,then wiggle screwdriver off,bingo ;D, :P
incorectly indexed is the word you were looking for Johhny O  ;D
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!