Author Topic: airshox thread size  (Read 845 times)

mainline

airshox thread size
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:40:37 pm »
I had to get the shafts rechromed and the shop has managed to get excessive chrome inside the thread at the bottom of the shaft, making it impossible to get the alloy bottom caps on without damage.

Does anyone know what the thread size is so I can ring around and find an engineering shop with a tap/die to suit? or would anyone in Brissy have one I could borrow? 

Cheers

Offline flattracker

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: airshox thread size
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:57:46 pm »
Don't want to panic you but hard chrome will be very difficult to remove with a tap. I worked in the aircraft industry for 5 Years refitting and rebuilding aircraft suspension units. Lots of hard chrome is used on shock shafts as it has very low rates of wear and low friction rates. If it's inside the thread lands it may need to be removed in an electro bath. You might be lucky enough to get it out with a tap but you run the risk of breaking the tap inside the shaft!
You could recut the thread on the ally caps to suit?
Are you in Melbourne?

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:11:08 pm »
Geez, you get yourself into strife Paul...take them back to whoever did the job and ask them if they can fix their farkup.....simple
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:41:53 pm »
Its a lathe job I reckon.Just get the thread dimensions of the end piece (male thread) .The shafts ID narrows abit after the thread so difficult to tap it even if you had a tap that big.

mainline

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 10:28:12 am »
The shockie shop are on holidays, and I was hoping to get them on the bike for this weekend. It doesn't look like there's a lot of stuff in the threads, just enough to be a pain