Author Topic: for sale on ebay...kx500  (Read 8118 times)

Tony T

Re: for sale on ebay...kx500
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 07:54:56 pm »
Simply what sort of piston is in there if it's not OEM. This eBay one had a 2 ring piston, which indicates a later model one was fitted. But all reports I've heard say that although a late piston physically fits in the hole, the squish is all wrong.
The reason I ask is that stock pistons are almost non-existant anymore. I've got an aftermarket piston kit for mine and will probably sleeve the barrel, but I still hope that I'll find a NOS piston for under $100.00 one day.   ;D

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 08:17:32 pm »
tony that othe kx that was on the other day (ebay) was supposed to have a nos piston in it and that was sleeved  may be you can ask him / he may be able to help you ,his number was on his add

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 10:00:30 pm »
tony the pistons and rings are the same except the squish is differant the early pistons were dome topped single ring the later were flat top twin ring the rings from a twin ring piston fit the single ring piston
i know this cause i have both some guys do run later pistons in 83 84 85 kx 500 engines
they seem to go ok but i think they would be down on compression although they feel ok on kickstart
the upside is no pinging ;D
follow me to first turn

Tony T

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 10:33:49 pm »
That's what I'm after. First hand info.
Thanks buddy. A bit less compression, and horsepower, in these engines is no real problem to us mere mortals who can't use all the power anyway.
That's good news and means I can get my barrel re-nikasiled and stay as close to stock as possible.  ;D
For sale, cheapo aftermarket piston to suit 84 KX500...........

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 10:51:01 pm »
Sorting squish is a half hour job absoutely NOTHING to worry about.Besides flattops are the go.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Tony T

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 08:00:10 am »
Sorting squish is a half hour job absoutely NOTHING to worry about.

Might not be for you.  ;D
At least I know now that I can use later pistons with confidence. Thanks gentlemen.