Author Topic: AJS Scrambler 18SC 500cc 1958  (Read 4853 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
AJS Scrambler 18SC 500cc 1958
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:36:21 pm »
Thanks MA website for the good stuff  8)
1958 500cc AJS 18CS Scrambler
Brute strength
After a year in Europe where he competed in moto cross and in the 1957 International Six Days Trial with compatriots Tim Gibbes, John Rock and Roy East, Les Fisher sailed for home, bringing this AJS 18CS with him. Identical to its Matchless brother (both AJS and Matchless were produced by Associated Motor Cycles or AMC)  in all respects except the shape of the timing case and the petrol tank colour, the AJS was one of the final examples of the big, heavy British four strokes that were soon to be rendered obsolete by the new generation of two strokes.

The 86mm x 86mm bore and stroke all-alloy engine was a willing performer, but in a machine that weighs 155 kilos, the most crucial factor was the strength and fitness of the rider. Suspension travel is just 75mm at the front and slightly less at the rear. Still, in the late 1950s, the AJS 18CS (or the Matchless G80CS) was a weapon in the right hands. Works riders Dave Curtis, Brian Stonebridge and Geoff Ward were tough men to beat – the rivalry between the AMC and BSA factories always the main attraction at ‘scrambles’ of the day. In standard catalogued form, the 18CS ('C' representing Competition) was supplied without air filtration of any kind. Indeed, the placement of the oil tank directly in front of the carburettor precluded the use of any impediment to incoming rubbish, so a common practice was to convert the left-side toolbox into an oil tank. This was done by welding the seams closed on the tool box, sticking in a spout and filler cap, and adding the necessary hoses and inlet/outlets. This allowed an air filer, of sorts, to be mounted on the right side where the oil tank used to be. On this machine, carburation is via an 1 3/8 inch Amal GP with remote float, although an Amal Monobloc was the standard fitting.

Back in Australia, one of Fisher’s first outings on the AJS was the Australian Scrambles Championships at Royal Park, Adelaide. The competition was tough, with returning ‘internationals’ Charlie West, Ray Fisher and Roy East all taking titles, but Les brought the bike home in third place in the 500cc Championship. Soon after, the AJS was sold to Sydney rider Bill Larue who raced it mainly on dirt short circuits for a few years before selling it to Keith Shrimpton. In 1966 it was acquired in a rather dilapidated state by Charlie Scaysbrook. The engine’s weak point was the timing side main bearing, which usually collapsed, taking most other major components with it. Later engines, sold as the Matchless G85CS, had much-strengthened bottom ends, with a Norton gear-driven oil pump replacing the old reciprocating design that dated back to the 1920s. As purchased, the entire bottom end, including the crankcases of the ex-Fisher AJS were scrap, but a new set of flywheels was turned up, a 7R AJS conrod fitted and replacement crankcases obtained from the UK.

The rebuild was completed just in time for the 1966 Australian Scrambles Championships at Christmas Hills in Victoria where Charlie’s son Jim rode the bike to tenth place in the Senior title. In it’s next outing, at Wollongong, the frame diamond broke clean in half, and the old warrior was dragged into the shed and dismantled. The components of the bike lay around for nearly twenty years in boxes and buckets until a replacement frame diamond was procured. The rebuild itself took a few years, but the completed machine is a joy to behold and is in completely original specification, right down to the Dunlop Sports tyres that are correct for the period. Very few of these bikes survive in complete form because the engines and gearboxes were generally plundered in the late 1960s to be used in Rickman Metisse frame kits. English tuner Jack Emmot even produced a version with the fins shaved off and compression raised to astronomical levels for use on British speedways and grass tracks.

Today the AJS is a reminder of what was considered top tackle before tracks were littered with stutters, quads and tabletops - when riders wore pudding basin helmets, gas goggles, and leather britches.

[quote ]

[/quote]

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:07:02 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

firko

Re: AJS Stormer 18SC 500cc 1958
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 03:50:48 pm »
Stormer? mmmmm, no.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: AJS Stormer 18SC 500cc 1958
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 07:06:17 pm »
Stormer? mmmmm, no.

Opps that should be Scrambler not Stormer  :-X  ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Curly3

Re: AJS Scrambler 18SC 500cc 1958
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 07:19:08 pm »

Great article Alison.
The guy shaking hands with the presenter is Bill Larue, actually Bill Routledge, he changed his name to avoid his mum when he was a " Skid Kid " back in England.
This photo was of the 7 Hour Race in 1962 at Muswellbrook NSW.
The gent in the white overall's is my dad, they won by a country mile on a Tiger 100.
Sadly Bill passed away last year.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 07:30:30 pm »
I can't wait to get to HBBB and listen to these older riders/slider talking away to each other reminising about the past.............I could do it 247  8)
Thanks for the photo- the smiles are just the best, they say it all.
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Curly3

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 08:22:01 pm »
The others leather clad studs are, Les Burdus and Paul New, wearing glasses.
I couldn't tell you how Paul is today but I speak to Les regularly and he is a gold mine of history for early day Dirt Tracking.
Love the Sky Blue tank on the AJS.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:11:05 pm »
Love the Sky Blue tank on the AJS.

Yes ,Not often you see that color.I've seen similer on the Alron Enduro/Road bike,the CCM (?)
and I did read that it was used on British Aviation then bikes. Cool Blue  8)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 05:38:54 am »
 One minor mistake
The 85 was a 600 produced concurrently with the G80CS. They switched to a G50 bottom end and added the Norton oil pump for the last 3 or 4 years. The previous bottom end wasn't so good for extended full throttle Desert racing. The frames went Duplex too from what I remember

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 10:13:11 am »
 If the frame diamond was the same as on my old 18s road bike I'm surprised it lasted that long!.
  It used to twist horribly just hammering 'round tar roads.
  It felt like it was made out of black garden hose.
  cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!