Author Topic: NW CZ/Maico moved again.  (Read 3370 times)

firko

NW CZ/Maico moved again.
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:03:06 pm »

Long time VMX parts outlet NorthWest CZ/Maico has changed hands again. Originally set up by John and Rick in Bend, Oregon, it was then purchased by CZ Bob Borg who moved the operation to Arizona. Now the business has again moved, this time across the country to Pensylvania. I've downloaded the following from the Weedies CZ site...................

Let me officially introduce myself. I am the new owner of Northwest Maico and CZ as you may have surmised. Several months ago I contacted Robert Borg concerning opening a vintage motorcycle parts and supply business on the East Coast. At the time it was not my intent to be brand specific. I of course wanted CZ and Maico however I also was interested in plastic for Husqvarna, Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha. Robert called me back several weeks later as he had been in AZ and I had called his Utah home number which he does not check messages. When he called he asked me if I had spoken with Mark lately. It had been several months, however Mark and I still spoke as I was in the process of building an AW 250 and had ordered parts. In addition, I had picked up a CZ for Mark in NJ and stored it for him for 6 months or so. At any rate Robert thought I should contact Mark about the opportunity to purchase Northwest Maico and CZ. I did and a deal was completed.
>
> Fast forward a couple of months. I have recieved the parts from Mark in 4 or 5 shipments. Additionally, I have placed numerous orders from Robert. I did receive a mailing list from Mark however it was a printed copy. I have entered about half of it as it was not an Excel spreadsheet that would have made it much easier to enter an electronic file. Same goes for the 8,000 part numbers I have entered into my database. Do not get me wrong, I am not complaining as in the long run it has helped me understand what I have, or more so what I need. I have increased what Mark had 4X and still do not feel I have enough. Another suggestion Robert made was to place smaller orders in order to "absorb" what each part is. That turned out to be a critical piece of information. I am very intimate with what is in my inventory.
>
> The inventory is coming along very nice. I concentrated on the CZ inventory first as that is what I felt was the least amount received from Mark. I now have every piece of plastic offered in white, black and translucent (works) colors. Same goes for pistons, rods, gaskets, bearings, seals, electronic ignitions and clutch parts. Seat bases, foam and covers are complete. Front and rear suspension is complete although I am working with several vendors on a broader selection. Fuel tanks in blue, black, white, silver and red are on the shelves. Alloy tanks are being fabricated as are swingarms, backing plates and chain guides. I do have all of these in stock now with the exception of the alloy tanks. My goal is to secure used crankshafts, cylinders and transmissions and have them ready to ship with work such as new rod and bearings on the cranks, trued and balanced. Cylinders bored and in some cases nikasil coated. Transmission gears will be magnafluxed. With all this said I feel comfortable with the CZ side of the business.
>
> As for Maico I feel I am about 75% of where"I" want to be. Continue to order parts from Robert and it will be complete soon.
>
> Now a little about me. I began racing in the early seventies on a Hodaka Super Rat. Progressed to Can Am's and Kawasaki's in the late seventies and early eighties. Quit racing and tuned for a couple of local guys that were riding cross country and won two state championships with both riders. Then walked away from it due to work and family duties. About ten years ago I contacted Paul Stannard at Strictly Hodaka and started restoring Hodaka's and attending AHRMA races. At one of the races I saw a CZ twin port on the track and could not believe I was seeing one on the track. I had only seen them as a kid and lusted for one thinking I would never own one. I tracked the rider down in the pits and introduced myself. His name was Jerry Casciero. From that introduction became what would be a long time friendship. Jerry told me at 250 pounds I needed to get off the 125's and move up to a Maico 400. I had never been on an open bike. I weighed 150 pounds at most in my early riding days so a 125 was fine for me. I rode a 250 for one year and it was ok. Purchased a 75 Maico 400 that Jerry and I converted back to a external spring fork setup and 4 speed transmission to race in Vintage Classic. The first time I rode the 400 my arms hurt for days as there was more power than I thought should be legal. Fast forward a year or so later and Jerry and I were going to a National at Summersville WV and Jerry loaded the twin port 250 CZ for me to ride. Fell in love with it and had to have one for myself. On the 7 hour trip home we discussed what was required to build one. First call was to Robert for a bike. Robert had one in boxes under his house. A couple of years later and it is complete. Have not ridden however the plan is to break it out this year. Sadly my best friend and racing partner, Jerry Casciero passed away suddenly last year. We had talked about opening a race and restoration business as he was in the paint and body business. This was the genesis for moving forward with Northwest Maico and CZ.
>
> I do not profess to be any sort of guru as it relates to CZ and/or Maico. I have a passion for the bikes and am not afraid to admit if I do not know the answer. I am also not too proud to pick up the phone and ask someone who knows in an effort to answer the questions my customers may have. My goal is provide superior customer service at fair prices and to be available by phone most any time. I answer my phone up to 11:00 PM EST. Do not hesitate to call. If I am up I will answer the phone.
>
> I am also heavily involved in AHRMA racing on the East Coast and Nationally. I am a member of the National Grading Committee as well as Post Vintage Rules Committee. In the North Atlantic region I regularly serve as Race Director or Referee. I have also performed the duty of Race Director and/or Referee at several events outside of the North Atlantic over the last couple of years. This year I unsuccesfully ran for AHRMA trustee in the East and although I did not win I plan to throw my hat in the ring in the future. I am also responsible for the York Swap Meet that Potomac Vintage Riders promote every year in York, PA.
>
> As Al Conte and others will attest I will do my best to make this a succesful operation. I look forward to that opportunity with you as well as the entire CZ and Maico community.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Allen Brown
> Northwest Maico and CZ, LLC
>

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: NW CZ/Maico moved again.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:08:29 pm »
is there a web site