Author Topic: bike shop closing slacks creek big savings on clothing etc  (Read 3568 times)

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
motor bike city is closing everything in the store is genuine half price.stuff like oneal element boots $90 answer pants around $50 i bought answer rockstar helmet for one of my daughters $80 everything is genuine half price not marked up prices.he also has evs neck braces i think are around $150 mark.plenty of shift jerseys pants he has goggles fox and dragon full body armour suits.he's in moss st slacks creek and he'll be there until 23rd this month.cheers gary

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: bike shop closing slacks creek big savings on clothing etc
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:05:22 pm »
This always makes me sad. "Shop local & suport the companies that support you". "Nah to bloody expensive. cheaper on evil bay". "Hay shop A is closing down get in & see what you can get for nothing". Next week you need some local support for the club race event or info for your own use & that guy closed down last week due to lack of support. Yes some stores don't deserve your support I know. But I have seen many close due to this sinario who always tried to support locals, not only in the motor cycle industry. :'(

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 02:54:27 pm »
he sells chinese bikes but i buy most parts ive needed for my daughters xr100 there also bought my kx125 there it was the only jap bike there.nice bloke to whenever i need something he was one of the first id ring as he has a lot of contacts.the bloke that owned my kx before me also  knows him and all the new bits that were on my kx were bought through him plastics dep exhaust sunline levers etc.his bikes are chinese but his acc are all brand names like shift,answer,leat,oneal,dragon,utopia just to name a few.i only found out as i was there buying a throttle cable for my daughters bike yesterday and thought id put it up here to help fill his pockets before he closes.i also only buy local never been a big fan of buying oversaes not long ago priced postage for a sticker kit for my daughters rm 80 and postage was dearer than the sticker kit plus the 3-4 weeks waiting time made the whole deal very unatractive.if i cant find it myself local i go through my mechanicwho is now in beenleigh motorcycles old shop.cheers gary

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 03:30:56 pm »
Not a shot at you Garry. Just a general observation.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 04:34:31 pm »
didn't think you were taking a shot ;) and agree 100% with what your saying though.cheers gary

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 05:15:16 pm »
Riders Edge in Heidelberg, Vic is another one.

http://www.ridersedge.com.au/main/

A shame as they often supported events, giving products for raffles at club days etc.

Like many shops I hear about, reports of many custmomers trying on Nylons and boots but never buying any!!!
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 05:39:11 pm »
thats what all the major department stores are bitchin about,people trying on clothes to check their sizes,then going & buying the same online cheaper o/seas,dodging gst too apparently,bet the number crunchers are checking into that little gem too,  :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Bioflex

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 06:06:58 pm »
I do feel sorry for traditional retailers with shop fronts at the moment, however a lot of them don't do what is needed to ensure people keep coming back.
There are certain advantages to shops which online businesses, particularly from overseas, will never be able to match.
That is what they have to emphasise.

The "service" component is the main point of difference, and as many bike owners don't know a lot, the more informed shop owners are in terms of spares, products, servicving etc, the more likely people are to buy parts from them.
One big issue seems to be shops that don't carry a decent range of spares. Being able to waltz in and pick up a part the day you visit a shop is a huge advantage, one which I am willing to pay a 20% + premium for, without a doubt.
Many shop owners don't want the hassle of sitting on excess stock, so order on demand, but with that perspective why worth going to a shop?
After all, it will probably be cheaper online and will arrive faster.

What I would really like to see in the motorbike industry is the creation of some Australian brands. While they don't have to be Aus made (which would be great but not practical), we all know after all that the U.S stuff is made in China, but having brands which aren't filtered through the U.S would mean Aussie suppliers can supply goods at competitive prices.

Probably a bit too much to ask at this stage as the industry is in a bit of a lull, but it's not out of the question, one that it would be great if someone looked at eventually.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 07:38:04 pm »
the particular shop i have mentioned was a great bloke who ran it lots of knowledge and willing to share it great service and would go out of his way to help.had parts for my daughters xr100 cables and sprockets always in stock,but i think the shops biggest downfall is were they are located moss st slacks creek is pretty close to bike heaven and being stuck between team moto and a mx accessories ware house isnt a good position for a chinese bike shop even though i would go or ring there for honda parts before ringing team moto honda next door to him.the same company also has stores in victoria and i think sa don't know if these are also closing.its a pity i would choose his service over any of the big dealers in moss st any day.cheers gary

mainline

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 08:15:21 pm »
Like many shops I hear about, reports of many custmomers trying on Nylons and boots but never buying any!!!

anyone who does that is a complete and utter turd.

I've had someone from Torpedo7, when asked about sizing for a particular item, suggest I go to a store and try them on for size. I did, and bought them from the store. I can't imagine how people have the front to do something like that.

trailietrash

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 08:59:30 pm »
40 years ago, my Mum worked in the rag trade making baby clothes along with many, many other women in a cramped, noisy part of the city of Sydney. I spent my school holidays in that environment watching women work almost non stop except when they went for a loo break and sneak a smoke and grab a Bex powder from the dispenser.
My few chances to escape this working world were spent wandering around the bike shops that radiated from the Griffiths Teas building in Wentworth Avenue and so it was that my love of Motorcycles grew out of a desire to be free of the tyranny of the workplace and gaze in awe at what can be had from the wealth obtained by work.
I could go on about the changes that have happened in the clothing industry since then that has lead to its demise in Australia but if people buy the same product that is manufactured overseas from an overseas source why should they buy from a shop that overcharges for the products here in Australia. Too many distributors believe they can still put a premium price onto a product and get sales. It is these distributors that hurt the shops by controlling the market to the shops when the customer can compete for prices on the internet. Put simply, if we made more product it would not be a problem.

and as for my Mum she found a new job with David Jones as a floor worker selling ladies garments... and all this may be a long time ago but I still love my Mum and happy Mothers Day to you and all the Mums here

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 03:14:01 pm »
Oldskool, that's the second shop you frequent that's gone belly up in the last two months.   Your not jinxing them are you?  :D

When your in business you can't keep following what you've always done.  You have to keep in touch with your demographic market all the time.  That market changes as new generations come into it and you have to meet those changes or you get left behind. 

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 07:08:21 pm »
i hope not :o