Author Topic: Trouble at the Top  (Read 8066 times)

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble at the Top
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 07:10:35 pm »
Egotism is dangerous, greed along with it, is deadly.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 08:10:17 pm »
News
Following the recent posting in error of draft Board Minutes on the Motorcycling Australia website which touched on a number of issues relating to Super X, Global Action Sports have released the following statement regarding the, what they refer to as, the exciting future of the Monster Energy Super X series.

In just three years, Global Action Sports is proud that it has created a world class supercross series that in many ways is setting a new standard around the globe, the statement starts.

Super X introduced live television coverage of every round, which was a first for any series in the world, revolutionary new race formats, world class tracks at premiere venues around Australia and New Zealand as well as the biggest supercross crowds and international riders ever seen in Australasia.

Last year's series was no exception and fans and industry were unanimous in heralding the series as a huge success with exceptional racing and high quality television coverage.

The Global Action Sports team was always aware that to achieve its vision for the sport in this country would require substantial investment and that part of this would include ups and downs in ticket sales as the series develops. The company has invested very significant sums in Super X to date and will continue to do so to ensure the growth of supercross in Australia.

2010 was a challenging year financially for the series due to a number of factors beyond Global Action Sports' control, including rain at every round, and as a result Global Action Sports has undertaken an internal restructuring including voluntarily liquidating one of its companies within the Super X division. This is not uncommon in the sports and entertainment business and the Super X division remains in good health and committed to continuing the development of the series over the long term.

Super X continues to enjoy good relations with its partners including venues, suppliers and sponsors including Monster Energy as well as Motorcycling Australia, and has been working closely with them in recent months in connection with the calendar for the 2011 series.

New Super X General Manager, Kevin Williams, is very excited about this year's calendar which will be announced shortly.

"I am so pleased with the venues we have lined up for the series this year and I have no doubt it is going to be the best one yet. I am so proud to be involved in this championship and I am really looking forward to working with Global Action Sports and Monster Energy to deliver an amazing series that is sure to produce some great racing for fans."

In the meantime, the partnership between Super X and Chad Reed in the Super X series has concluded allowing Chad to focus on his racing career and team in the USA where he is currently a championship contender in the AMA World Supercross Series. Chad's goals in becoming involved with the Super X series were to help raise the profile of the sport of supercross in Australia and help to establish a series which was world class and he feels that has been accomplished.

"As a group we set our goals for the series very high. Our new initiatives were world class - live television, quality venues, unique formats – and brought the sport of Supercross a whole new public profile in Australia.

"I look forward to watching the series moving forward and hope to return home and race in the future if my AMA SX and Outdoor series commitments permit."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:15:59 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

TM BILL

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 09:39:08 pm »
and.......who is complaining about DW...we all voted him in...Yes we did....SCB's are given direction to vote in a particular way when election time comes around at MA....that direction comes from the Clubs ( or should do....)...That is how (we) got RK to move along ..not vote for him... Sounds like some people would like to get rid of DW....simple...offer up an alternative ...propose it at club level to your SCB ....That is how a democracy works ....

Does the CEO ie David White get voted into his position  ??? i thought his was a appointed position , and a position he has held since the early 90s  :-\ I think you will find its hard to get rid of somone who wrote their OWN employment contract and job description  ;)

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 05:33:20 am »
are we all just suffering" Tall Poppy syndrome" ?

there will allways be someone at the top.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 07:32:41 am »
There will always be someone at the top.
But that someone should do there job.
I was there when White was picked , I didn't like the reason's why he was chosen then and I still don't like him now.
Like I've asked anyone who listen.
Name just one good thing he has done in his tenure at MA?
His job is to promote motorcycle racing ( or at least that why he hired back then ) Look at the state of racing in this country now compared to early 90's, Outside sponsors have left in droves the state of racing is complete mess, less places than ever to race, costs out of control with insurance etc. 
I call that a failure.  >:(
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 07:54:14 am »
Is it fair to say that the 'strategic managers' never achieve anything worthwhile?
It happens at my work, its happened at previous places of employment, it happens at CAMS, it happens everywhere...

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 08:52:12 am »
Slakewell-I can't concentrate with that avatar of yours looking at me.
But YES to all of the above. Why do we always end up with these sorts of people running the show?
At grass roots level it would be hard to find a better, hard working, like minded bunch of people, but at the top they just turn into block heads.
STAND ASIDE I say

TM BILL

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2011, 09:22:50 am »
But YES to all of the above. Why do we always end up with these sorts of people running the show?
At grass roots level it would be hard to find a better, hard working, like minded bunch of people, but at the top they just turn into block heads.
STAND ASIDE I say

Its Human nature , its already been said in another post that to get to the top you have to be the sort of person who will push others off to get there.
I think in everybody there is an element of greed and self serving that surfaces when the volenteer role becomes a paid role. I have always believed that in any sport having people with a passion for that sport running it at the top level is also a negative thing .

A buisness example is a bloke here ran one of the most succsessfull motorcycle shops in the country (selling mainly farm ATVs and accessories )
he had absoulutley no interest in Motorcycles outside of work to him they were just a saleable commodity and he was a good buisnessman . He didn't get bogged down with local club politics or sponsoring wannabees , he just sold bikes , atvs and gave great service to his punters .
Outside of work his interest were elsewhere so he was able to concentrate on his buisness witch was selling bikes and atvs  his competitors critisized him for not getting involved in the sport  but he ignored them and kept on selling more bikes than them  ;)

Over here in the last 10 yrs our governing body MNZ has gone from completly vollenteer  (save 3 paid office staff ) to semi professional (and i use the term laughingly ) with a CEO and board . The old vollenteer system was flawed and drawn out  but it worked and the organisation was self sufficent , since  changing we have had 3 different CEOs (each one forking usless and with their own agendas )various shit fights and law suits , general dissention amoungst the members and a negative bank balance  .

However what really put a bug up my arse was that individuals on the board (some mates of mine ) who are very very sucsessfull buisness people brought none of that buisness acumen to the MNZ table , it was like fork it this is just a game  >:(
there was no way they would have run their buisnesses the way they wanted to run MNZ .
They were very passionate motorcyclist and thats what they brought to the table , but we already have a sea of passionate vollenteers what we needed was buisness and marketing brains to run the show .
As it is MNZ is fast dissapeering up its own arse (not fast enough for me ) fortunatley VMX runs outside of MNZ so we do it our way.

Compared to MA MNZ is a very small fish but i think the problems are simillar .
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:40:37 am by TM BILL »

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 09:55:45 am »
STAND ASIDE I say

fortunatley VMX runs outside of MNZ so we do it our way.

And there-in lies the answer!!!! END OF STORY