Author Topic: Classed as Finished or DNF ?  (Read 5575 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Classed as Finished or DNF ?
« on: October 23, 2007, 08:45:28 pm »
Can someone clarify somthing for me.

When are you DNF ? when are you still alive so to speak ?

If i complete say 2 laps of a 3 lap race (75%) but dont actually cross the finish line - i have still TECHNICALLY finished and THUS point awarded ?

and what if im many laps down, but i still cross the line after the winner has crossed the line and based on the fact my bike was running and circulating at the time he was on his last lap but before he crossed physically crossed the line ?

is there definitve on these typical situations ?  or is it based only on 75% regardless of whether you cross or not ?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 08:47:10 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

211kawasaki

Re: Classed as Finished or DNF ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 08:58:12 pm »
DNF
"Did not finish"
keep pushing the thing 'till someone waves a finish flag in your face and you get the points (if any left!)

Tanner

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 09:31:14 pm »
thats what i thought, until i was hit with the must complete 75% part. 

I need more facts brains trust, more facts, as both the above have happened to me i want to know what should have happened.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:09:32 pm »
    2 out of 3 laps is 66.6666%

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:14:44 pm »
So Yuma are you saying its 75% regardless ? so say if you die on lap 2, get laped and get going on or before lap 4 and follow the field over the line you DNF ?  or are you saying you need only cross the line on that lap that the race finishes on regardless of how many laps completed  ?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:39:25 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 10:34:46 am »
Nope not kidding.   Simple question, are you answering ?
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 10:36:42 am »
Geez Freaky , points must getting tight ???
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 10:45:23 am »
If you start the race, lets say its a 3 lapper, crash and spend the next 2 laps getting your flooded bike going again just so you can finish on the last lap (you did 1 while everyone else did the 3) that's still a finish even though you were lapped twice. If you don't get you bike going before the race finishes and you can't get to the line before the officials call the race as done then it's a DNF. If you still are going to get points even if your last then start pushing... ;D
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 10:49:28 am »
Well as always hilly - Yes,

for example, I was caught down the arse end of the scramble track in the Age group titles last state meet, in this particular instance with a fouled plug and at the time i couldnt figure out whether i should push this barstard back up the hill and cross the line or the points were already awarded cause 75% had pasted.  When you have Kicked your guts out trying to get the thing going the last thing on your mind is counting back laps and/or being smart enought to know you should push until you get kicked off the track.      If i read the rule book it only makes 2 points - 75% and the last compeditor crossing the line.  When technically should you give up ?  at the time the grid was already formed for the next race and the gate was about to drop, so there was no oppertunity to cross the line.

Cyclegod - if you have only completed 1 lap surely thats not 75% or am i reading that rule wrong too ?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:52:30 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 10:58:49 am »
If a race is stopped for, lets say, a serious crash where riders are injured and need to ambulanced away, if 75% or more of the race has been completed, then the officials can stop the race and award point as per race position on the previous lap. If less than 75% has been run then the officials may stage a restart to complete the race.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 11:05:00 am »
OH OK i understand that are you saying that 75% rule only applies/ refers to the race meeting total or an individual race being Deemed as officially completed.

So if i was to say stall on the line get lapped 3 times , get it started and yet cross the finish line 30 metres ahead of me after the 1st finisher does your still classed a finisher............. i like it , what a way to save petrol.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 03:21:24 pm »
The 75% rule only applies if the whole race has not run full length ie it has been red flagged 3 laps into a 5 lap race and can't be rerun for whatever reason.
If the race has been run full length and the winner crosses the line a lap ahead of you then you can be given the chequered flag but still scored in a finishing position.
A dnf means that Did not finish....not did not finish on the same lap.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 04:59:34 pm »
So in that case i should have held up the next race at the gates and pushed that piece of crap over the line, while cursing loudly  ;D

I just want to be perfectly sure of my rights if i ever need to call it in :P   Im pushing till i get rugby tackled by flaggies if it ever happens again  :o
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 05:02:48 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 05:07:46 pm »
Freaky just get ya wife or sister to lap score 8)

na someone elses cranky lady was scoring and i tried to convince her i had crossed the line before the next race,  but she must have missed me..  but alas i noticed i got scored as DNF, and at the presentation i went from first to third, too late to complain then, when the little cup get handed around.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 05:09:43 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's