Author Topic: Wanted jetting recomendations for Husky 73CR250  (Read 758 times)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
Wanted jetting recomendations for Husky 73CR250
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:52:50 pm »
Am looking for someone who has a 73 CR250 Husky with a 36 mm Mikuni to tell me what jets you are running -- particularly the main jet size.

Thanks

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted jetting recomendations for Husky 73CR250
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 06:59:20 am »
what was wrong with the honda spec i thought it got the bike running.you realy need to jet the bike yourself.first get it running at idel with good throttle responce then do plug chops its not that hard.

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted jetting recomendations for Husky 73CR250
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:05:53 pm »
Yep -- I know it's not that hard -- but -- the '72 250 CZ I have had for a while runs well with a 230 main -- and the recomendations I got from the experienced fellow who sold me the new carb was to run a 430 main -- huge difference, I rang TD Hatrick and asked them -- they said 430 main "in the ball park", put in a 430 and it fuels up and drowns itself in about 30 seconds -- put in a 330 main and it runs but fourstrokes on WOT and when I do a plug chop it's black. Put in a 270 and it runs lovely and the plug colour is tan but is getting hot and has nipped up twice now.

So yes -- it should be easy -- but it ain't -- it may be my inexperience -- eg -- was told this morning that I'm wastin' my time (or at least making my work a lot harder) by using 98 pump fuel -- told it's a lot easier to get plug readings with avgas. I accept that and will start again with avgas (when I get a rebore because the bore's stuffed now). Also was told this morning that the carby I have is a 38 not a 36 -- but it measures 37 and TD Hatrick told me that a carby that measures 37 "should be" a 36. So there are a few variables -- like when I get the new piston I will run it for a while on 30:1 pre-mix -- and when I go back to  40:1 after say 1/2 hour of running the fuel will be a bit thinner and will flow a bit more through the same jet.

So -- will get a rebore -- have ordered a full set of jets from 420 down to 300 -- will get avgas and will run the new piston richer rather than lean (because I learned the first time it nipped up that it can happen in 20 seconds -- and that took me a few hours to get the piston ring free in the grove 'cause it was welded in) and I will start at 430 main and work down -- but I'm a bit nervous at this stage -- it's been a lot of work and a bit on money and combined with my inexperience and zip people around here who have years of experience who can come out to the "bush test track" and advise me -- I get to the point where I'd like to hear from someone who has a
Mikuni (38 not 36!) on a non reed  73 motor who can say -- this is what I use and I can go a bit richer than that as a starting point.