Author Topic: Tough guys  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Tough guys
« on: April 08, 2011, 02:19:17 pm »
I know there's been a few discussions about the old days (read 40s/50s) on here, plus in VMX, but I rarely read those. However I just finished the article in the latest Transmoto about Tim Gibbes.

He went to the UK in the 50s and raced scrambles and reliability trials. He also did road racing, travelled to the US and raced desert, as well as toughed it out working for a variety of English factories as a tester. He rode in the ISDT as well, winning golds. And in those days the races were often VERY muddy and difficult and they rode bloody great lumps of iron with no suspension.

Makes my preference for only riding on sunny days with no mud and just a little dust on a bike with 12" of travel and even then only if I'm in the mood and can get a flat-white at the end of the day look a bit, well... soft...

OK, really soft.

But it was a great read and left me with a new found respect for the racers of yesteryear. Might have to read those articles when they pop up from now on!

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Tough guys
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:34:22 pm »
Ah Tum Gubbs - the auzie/ kiwi great guy to talk to and hes done most things a legend
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 04:02:31 pm »
Graeme ever had the pleasure to study most of John Boags  VMX championship race machines??? How that man has and still is winning events, must be a  very special inate ability and superior toughness. Cheers .
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 05:33:28 pm »
Tim Gibbes comes from a generation of New Zealanders that were tougher than a steak meal at a pie cart  ;D

having known a couple of good MX and Enduro riders, their tolerance for injury and getting back on the bike when the rest of us would retire forever seems to be a common trait, look at Stefan Everts, Shane Watts.

I remember a story about one of the yank ISDT riders loosing 3 toes on a rock the hard way, finishing the job off with the tools in his bum bag and still finishing the day on schedule :o.
formerly Marc.com

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 06:00:56 pm »
One of the last real "tough buggers'' is Vern Grayson. If the hand grips let go, he would hang on with his teeth. But he was still around in the early mister Moto-x days and can still hold a bull out to piss. 

TooFastTim

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 07:28:06 pm »
having known a couple of good MX and Enduro riders, their tolerance for injury and getting back on the bike when the rest of us would retire forever seems to be a common trait, look at Stefan Everts, Shane Watts.

No ride no pay. Hit me Doc. Give me the good shit!

I remember a story about one of the yank ISDT riders loosing 3 toes on a rock the hard way, finishing the job off with the tools in his bum bag and still finishing the day on schedule Shocked.

Oh thank you. Thank you very much for that. Next they'll make a movie about it..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:39:02 pm by TooFastTim »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 08:04:45 am »

Oh thank you. Thank you very much for that. Next they'll make a movie about it..
[/quote]

Or a reality TV show, you know what is really tough 'jogging home from your vasectomy'  ;D ;D ;D
formerly Marc.com