Author Topic: New Vin Plate  (Read 7637 times)

Stankflapper

Re: New Vin Plate
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 03:47:41 pm »
i would off thought it would be highly illegal to produce vin plates

Its only a VIN plate, Not a compliance plate. ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:58:29 pm by Stankflapper »

DR

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 03:16:16 am »
It's only has the bike model designation and frame number. A warning sticker that the bikes is not to be ridden on streets as it DOES NOT comply to federal vehicle safety standards for street use. It is a far cry from a compliance plate or normal motor vehicle vin 'plate'  ;)

Offline BETRIC

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 07:04:08 am »
Dan at Motographix would not touch it, I just had some (Yamaha offroad use only) decals made, they have the MFD date printed on them as standard but Dan would not print the date as he reckons it is illegal to reproduce decals with dates or vin numbers on them in NSW on advice from the Police ???
DELTEK, 72 MINI TRAIL, 73/4 XR75, 77/78 XR75, DG MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, REDLINE FRAME XR75, PK RACING MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, JWRP XR FRAME, SL70K1, 81 CR80RB, TY80A/B, YZ80A/B/D, GT50/80A, GTMX80A, 73 GTMX, GT1, COOPER MX, COOPER ENDURO,MX360A,MX250B,YZ125X MX100, 72 XL250, TC100,TL125, TY250C,IT250J

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 03:49:29 pm »
why cant you take th eold one off and then glue it back on after woods ?  dont look that bad to me, at worst a bit of black paint wiped over it would tidy it up no end.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Stankflapper

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 05:07:45 pm »
It is starting to peel and delaminate where the frame number is stamped.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 10:24:56 pm »
"it is illegal to reproduce decals with dates or vin numbers on them in NSW on advice from the Police" My advice from a very reliable federal source is this  to applies to all States and Territories.
Contact your state  vehicle registration authority ,...hang on the phone for two days... and if they do lovingly answer ,ask the non English speaking call centre voice for some guidance.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:28:49 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

DR

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 10:37:43 pm »
Tim, if the engine number and date is simply left blank is it then still illegal? This is the way the guy sells the GT items on ebay. Just blank plates and you stamp the numbers if you wish ;) speeding is illegal too but I don't know of anyone who's never done it :) I've sent these questions to the powers that be and be awaiting their official reply.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/double55/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 10:43:34 pm »
I would not worry about it. Your not going to be riding a RM on the street and for someone to be wanting to be going to all this trouble i would say its going to be a lounge room concourse job anyway, otherwise there is not really any point to have this decal on a bike thats tearing around a MX track with it hidden behind a number plate. Like frosty said, the frame will still have a frame number stamped. I really would not stress over it. The cops are not going to rock up at classic dirt or a vintage mx meet and book your for a non original sticker, come on. Those illegalities referred to are targeting unauthorised/homemade compliance plates thats all. You just need to read between the lines. I have regoed many bikes, and complianced a few and had police inspections done etc and all the cops are really concerned with is the frame number stamped on the frame and maybe the engine number just to see its not stollen. I have also made actual 'compliance plates' as per trasport sa's requirements for an imported vehicle and theres not really much specifics to it at all. The numbers stamped on a piece of aluminium is fine by them.

But i do understand things in the Police state may be a bit different, but for an RM, i still would not worry about it ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:51:49 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Stankflapper

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 04:22:35 am »
I have found a extremely helpful guy in Brisbane that can reproduce if anyone is interested. I will post up a pic of the results.

Rod at: http://www.cutgrafix.com/

The cops are not going to rock up at classic dirt or a vintage mx meet and book your for a non original sticker

Now that gave me a chuckle! ;D ;)

DR

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 07:52:26 am »
The reason I want the sticker Leith, I do plan 2 nice resto's. The frames still had most of the stickers and I distinctly remember the stickers on my RM's when new ;) yes it is anal but no-more anal than wanting phillips head screws with the dots or hex bolts with the S on them ;)

Stankflapper

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm »
I have received the new decal VIN plate in the mail from Rod and I am Very pleased with the results. Check out Rod site if you guys need any decals , a big thumbs up for me. ;D

DR

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 11:02:07 pm »
I asked the local cops about these stickers and they did not give me a totally difinative answer but they also said "personally we can't see any real problems when the bike is deemed for off road use only" ;) nice sticker by the way Stankflapper, may I ask an approximate cost?

Stankflapper

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 03:11:07 pm »
Yeh Doc the job is extremely professional and it cost $30 as I had to pay set up costs. Any more ordered would only be $15. I think you are on the money with your answer as this is not really a question for the police, it would be more a Transport dept related issue, and as this bike does not get registered it would be of no interest to those guys either,, I would assume.

DR

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 10:43:12 pm »
Pretty reasonable price. Many thanks for the heads up. I never got a response from the DoT hence why I asked at the local  Police station ;)