Author Topic: Swingarm resto  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Swingarm resto
« on: March 28, 2011, 03:23:19 pm »
I am looking to bring back to life an RM 465 aluminium swingarm, whilst it is not in too bad I see on this site a lot of bike restos where the swingarm looks fantastic and want to look at achieving a similiar result

Can some one direct me to a previous thread as I am sure there would be one but I can't find it

Any tips on sanding / polishing / anodising etc would be much appreciated as this is my first crack at a resto

Cheers

The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

Offline Bikeaholic

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Swingarm resto
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 09:42:28 pm »
Just put an alloy RM250N swingarm through my vapor blasting cabinet for a mate. Came out with a nice even sheen. I have a RM250X which has the same swingarm as the 465. They have some sort of anodising on them which covers up the very average standard alloy finish. To get them to shine you have to remove it. Once it is removed I have used Purple Polish with great results. Also did the lower fork legs using the same technique and they are still shiny after a season of Viper

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Swingarm resto
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:42:08 pm »
Thanks Bikaholic

I read on some other threads that stripping off the old anodising can be done relatively easily using oven cleaner (3-4 minutes then wipe off??!!), so thought I would give that a try and then polish out as much of the pitting and scrapes as possible before re-anodising. I want to keep it pretty original just clean it right up

Forgive my ignorance but Is there a name for the type of anodising that gives that original brushed look?

I need to change the bearings so before replacing I thought I would get to work on it!

Cheers

The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC