Author Topic: Swingarm bearing removal  (Read 985 times)

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Swingarm bearing removal
« on: March 15, 2011, 03:17:21 pm »
Hi All,

I have just started the resto on an RM465Z and after removing the swingarm the bearings crunch a bit like there is a fair bit of grit in them

The Clymer manual recommends their removal should be done by a Suzuki dealer. I don't have a press and if it can be done safely at home for both the bike and myself then any tips on removal and installing would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Bitten
The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Swingarm bearing removal
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:13:18 pm »
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=13804.15

Bit of info here,the end process posted by mainline of bearing suppliers ..good luck
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 04:20:46 pm »
are they bearings or bushes > i pulled a few sets out or some yamaha 125 swingers this week and after a few days of failing i fould they came out if i used a T-bar socket from the other side and tapped, then swiched over when it came out and was able to go up to the full width socket on the other side.

I think it worked as the socket head was able to sit on at least half the area of the bush rim, were as the other tapping things i used where to small in ara and just shot off as i hit it.

worked for me...........
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 06:11:17 pm »
Thanks guys

I have spoken to my local mechanic who does bits and pieces on my 'modern' bike and he is pretty good when it comes to invoicing so I think I will get him to do it properly, that way my kids wont learn more swear words!

As far as bearings go I have got some through Alpha sports and I spoke to the local CBC bearings fella and he said bring it in the components and he is pretty sure he can match them - Alpha Sports wanted $92 (ish) EACH for the the little swivel type bearings on the shock lever the push arms attach to.

Thanks for the response

Cheers
The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC