Author Topic: DT360 fish tails !!  (Read 3803 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
DT360 fish tails !!
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:55:46 am »
While returning from our fishing trip  :P We spotted this in a yard on the side of the road !!
I did a bit of a search on the forum and looks like they are handy for DT and mostly are A's written about !!
Did they bring out a 400 after this A ?? Any info thanks.
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: DT360 fish tails !!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:51:57 am »
im not a train spotter but it looks like a 74-75 era , the later forks and the round swing arm.  not sure on colours but the donk look like a 360 from here, missing exhaust and ignition.  rest looks a bit lost.

could be ridden pre 75 DT, but only worth the cost of the motor probally.  sum total of offer about $150
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:53:34 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

mx250

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:13:34 am »
Dark green tank gold and black pin stripe = DT360a. Charge them $50 to take it away ;) ;D. I can't see much more than scrap value there. :-\

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:40:56 am »
Yes, from the pics its 74 DT360. (VIN 446 I think)

They have quite a few fans on here. Engine is exclusive to that model. They went to the 400 w B model in 75 & its a very diff engine.

360A engine is very heavy, but reliable & decent state of tune. Can be made faster fairly easily. Reputation for being bullet-proof. Trans ratios are not too wide & close ratio MX ratios can be fitted if required. Frame same as other twinshock DT/MX 74-76. Decent handling w decent suspension upgrades. Worthy mod for racing is fit smaller 175 tank.

Doesn't look in great nick, but there's a few guys on here who'd grab it in a flash I suspect.

firko

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:13:01 pm »
I can't see much more than scrap value there.
That's where I differ to many folks. To me that '74 DT360 looks to be a damn good starter for a budget racer. As JC has said, these old DT's are as reliable as a Holden Kingswood, easy to modify and parts are cheap and freely available. Once you grind off the superflous streetbike brackets and gizmos, the frame and suspension is virtually identical to the MX version.

I've build presentable race bikes out of far worse bikes than that. ;)

mx250

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:34:00 pm »

I've build presentable race bikes out of far worse bikes than that. ;)
No question, but it would it would be a 'grandfather's axe' rebuild - just a new handle and a new head and it's as good as the one Granddad used  ;) ;D.

What is probably good on that DT? - frame + swinger, maybe, if no water has entered, cases, gearbox, clutch, barrel/head? Look at the oxidizing on the barrel - this bike has been in the weather for some time.

I reckon you would be financially better off to buy a $1000 non-running MX360 and start from there.

I was being slightly factious/facetious with the "scrap value" only comments but its a freebie or maybe $50-100 if you really, really need a project.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 01:55:32 pm »
i had one sitting in the corner of my shed that i sold to another forum member a while back.
i wish i still had it.
i look at one of them and all i see is MX360...
i like em ;)
"flat bickie"

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 02:28:42 pm »
this is a dt360 74 [ slightly modified ]
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Doggy Digger

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 03:42:33 pm »
I used to race my DT360 in club scrambles in 1974.   And I have vivid memories
of its almost-300 pounds in weight.

They were heavy motherf**kers!

(Probably 285 Lb ... which is still a lot more than your average Pursang.   Which, to this
day, is what I wish I'd bought instead.   But I was foolishly excited about owning a bike licence)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:55:20 pm by Doggy Digger »

firko

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 04:02:19 pm »
What is probably good on that DT? - frame + swinger, maybe, if no water has entered, cases, gearbox, clutch, barrel/head? Look at the oxidizing on the barrel - this bike has been in the weather for some time.
Of course it's a big ask to give a value judgement based on a grainy photo of a bike stuck away in outback W.A. from the comfort of my luxurious mancave but I'll have a go. ;D

Let's assume that the bike changes hands for $50, which is probably its net worth in current shape, I’m pretty sure I could turn that old hulk into a race bike for $750, give or take. Based on similar basket cases I've seen, the frame is probably still in good, usable condition so it’ll cost zero money and a couple of hours to grind off the unused street brackets and 10 bucks worth of Two Dollar shop rattle can gloss black to paint it. The forks and wheels are obviously shagged so scratch them and buy a nice conical front wheel and YZ back wheel off any YZ up to G off ebay for $100 tops. If youre canny, you might just get a set with usable knobbies as well. Forks will take a bit of time as most forks of the era are usually pretty rusty. You’ll find a set eventually.

As oxidized as the engine appears, I reckon it’d still be serviceable, even if its siezed. You can buy a big end bearing and pin for around $60, a piston kit for $50-$70 and a gasket kit for $20. Allow $100 for boring and crank building and another $100 for odds and sods and I reckon you’ve got a nice usable low budget engine that’s plenty fast for starters for under $400. I know this because I’ve just bought all of the parts for the RT1 engine I’m currently building (they use the same reed piston and big end as the DT360). ;)

If the heavy old steel tank is rooted, you can usually find one on eBay for pocket money, and if lucky you may find an MX version. Hunting around eBay or the Trading Post will eventually find you a stock MX pipe but the stocker will do until that turns up. eBay is your friend on projects like this.

Finally give the old girl a nice coat of Two Dollar shop spray can paint and a few bob spent on the little stuff, add some lateral thinking and elbow grease and Voila!.... you’ve got a cheap, low, low budget entry level racer.  There’s nothing like the buzz you get when the rusty old hulk you found in a paddock emerges from the shed as a going thing. I’ve built three bikes from hulks like this or worse and I can’t describe the satisfaction I got from each build. It’s not the fact that you can probably find a better bike to start with, it’s the challenge of turning someone else’s cast off piece of shit into something you can be proud of that makes the whole exercise worthwhile :D.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 04:45:16 pm »
The two dollar shop spray paint is no good.  Okay if you plan to sell it.  As stripping a frame and painting it is a hassle you need to do it right.  Pay the money and buy a $14 dollar can of paint.  If you keep your eye out you can find it on sale for $9.99.   K&H urethane paint. :D